Penalty Points on Driving License for Cycling Offence

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hawkey81

Hi,

I was recently pulled over by the police for allegedly cycling through a red light. I did challenge that actually the light was green for cyclists as I was emerging from a cycle lane, but due to not wanting to escalate the situation I just agreed that they must be correct.

They asked for id, so I presented my driving license. They did not issue me a on the spot fine, and said I woukd receive a letter.

I've received a letter offering me to accept a fpn of £100 and 3 penalty points on my license.

Is this legal? I'm very surprised as it's seems its a harsher punishment than if I did own a driving license. The code they've used is ZP97004. Which states a motor vehicle cross a peljcan/puffin crossing. It was not a motor vehicle, and it was also not a pelican or puffin crossing, just a regular light controlled junction.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

My best guess is an error in the system.
Someone somewhere assumed you RLJ in a car and the mention of a bike in the input data makes it that you jumped a pelican/puffin crossing.
Hence the code on the letter.
Which is no help to you ...... :sad:

You should have a phone number/ e-mail address/ postal address you can contact them on/with.
I'd do that and explain what happened and try to find out if it is that type of error/glitch.
Phone is quicker but e-mail/post has better evidence if needed later.
If it is and you can can get it sorted out that way then it's good.
If you cannot get it sorted out that way then it's a case of contacting somebody somewhere for proper legal advice.

Luck .......... ^_^

Drago

Legendary Member
The law does not permit licence endosements for actions while cycling, even on a legal ebike. Ring 101 and ask to speak to the CTU or CTO of the force concerned. The clerks have the authority to cancel a ticket with an obvious error, and usually do so with great relish where a genuine error is apparent. I would advise leaving it until day 14 to deny the officer concerned the time to issue you with a more appripriate one.

Alternatively, I'd be inclined not to pay it, let it go to court, and then prior to the hearing request that the case be dismissed due to a material error, ie, a bicycle is not a motor vehicle (unless its a high powered or derestriced ebike). Thatll probably earn the bobby a bottom spaking from his or her area commander, and if things went down as described they probably deserve it.

Be polite to the police, but when do not discuss potential wrongdoing with then unless the interview is being recorded and a solicitor present. The roadside is not the place to be admitting or denying any act, no matter how inncent. Name, rank, number, confirm who owns the vehicle, and leave it there.

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
As far as I can recall, it was a long time ago. You cannot get points on your licence, or a future licence, for a cycling offence. But the courts do have power to disqualify your licence or future licence for a cycling offence if they think it would be appropiate to do so.

It would have to be an extremely serious offence, I would think.

The OP need to telephone and sort this out.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Be polite to the police, but when do not discuss potential wrongdoing with then unless the interview is being recorded and a solicitor present. The roadside is not the place to be admitting or denying any act, no matter how inncent. Name, rank, number, confirm who owns the vehicle, and leave it there.
It's American so I imagine a lot of it applies differently here in the UK, but this is quite an entertaining lecture from a lawyer and a cop on why you should never ever talk to the police.

View: https://youtu.be/d-7o9xYp7eE

brucers

Guru
I know people do but I never carry my D/L as a matter of course and not would I have shown it as I'd. Seems to me, the copper was trying it on a bit (unless he had some physical evidence of you jumping the light not mentioned).

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Completely the wrong offence that doesn't even exist for nor is specifically worded for pedal cycles

Go with @Drago advice

GetFatty

Über Member
I'd struggle to get points on my license no matter what I did as I've never owned one and probably never will own one

jang

Regular
@Hawkey81 how did this resolve in the end? What did you end up doing?

I have exactly the same situation. Same penalty same code.

@Drago amazing advice thank you. I was lost working out what to do until I read your post.

Quick question - When you say ‘not to pay it and let it go to court’. Do you literally mean ignore the letter until you get the magistrates court summons then request it to be dismissed?

Top Bottom