penrith to oxenholme?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclist33

i would like to ride from penrith to oxenholme via the kirkstone pass. is this a viable and enjoyable road ride and what sort of ascent, descent, fitness and distance am i looking at?

ta

stu

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm just about to watch the Vuelta highlights but if nobody else has answered by the time I come back, I'll load my MemoryMap software and take a look for you.

ColinJ

I was just doing some research on the CTC forum and found some posts by Cumbrian local @jazzkat on there, so I reckon he's the man to ask for advice!

I'll still have a look at the map tomorrow and see what ideas I can come up with. Have you chosen Penrith and Oxenholme for their railway stations?

I can tell you straight away though that the Kirkstone Pass is quite a climb!

What time of year are you planning to do the ride, and could you do it on a weekday or does it have to be a weekend? (Might be relevant when considering traffic levels.)

ColinJ

Watch the Tour of Britain highlights on ITV4 tonight to see what the most obvious route from Windermere to Kendall is like! (Windermere, Bowness, B5284, Kendall.) The B5284 looks like it would be great in dry, sunny conditions in light traffic, but a nightmare if it were raining and busy!

If I were going to ride from Penrith to Kendall, I would probably miss the first bit of the A592 and take the B5320 instead from Eamont Bridge to Waterfoot on the A592.

Do the long, hard slog over the Kirkstone Pass, and then begin the long descent towards Windermere.

I would choose to bypass the obvious route via Bowness mentioned above. Instead, I would turn right left off the A592 at Longmire and ride over the hill instead of continuing down to the town. Turn left onto the cyclepath next to the A591 at Ings and ride to Staveley. Call in at the cafe at the brewery next to the big Wheelbase store there.

After a cafe stop, follow the cycleway to Burneside.

From Burneside you could choose to drop down into Kendall, and on to Oxenholme OR (the harder way, which I would prefer) climb up the hill to Laverock Bridge, cross the A685, stay high and work round to Singleton Park, cross the A684 and drop down into Oxenholme.

I'll plot a profile of my suggested route ... do you prefer miles/feet, or kms/metres?

Last edited:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
It is possible but it is a rather strange route ...

not it isn't... there's a pub at the top! :cheers:

OP
OP
Cyclist33

Cyclist33

Watch the Tour of Britain highlights on ITV4 tonight to see what the most obvious route from Windermere to Kendall is like! (Windermere, Bowness, B5284, Kendall.) The B5284 looks like it would be great in dry, sunny conditions in light traffic, but a nightmare if it were raining and busy!

If I were going to ride from Penrith to Kendall, I would probably miss the first bit of the A592 and take the B5320 instead from Eamont Bridge to Waterfoot on the A592.

Do the long, hard slog over the Kirkstone Pass, and then begin the long descent towards Windermere.

I would choose to bypass the obvious route via Bowness mentioned above. Instead, I would turn right off the A592 at Longmire and ride over the hill instead of continuing down to the town. Turn left onto the cyclepath next to the A591 at Ings and ride to Staveley. Call in at the cafe at the brewery next to the big Wheelbase store there.

After a cafe stop, follow the cycleway to Burneside.

From Burneside you could choose to drop down into Kendall, and on to Oxenholme OR (the harder way, which I would prefer) climb up the hill to Laverock Bridge, cross the A685, stay high and work round to Singleton Park, cross the A684 and drop down into Oxenholme.

I'll plot a profile of my suggested route ... do you prefer miles/feet, or kms/metres?
thanks... imperial measures plz!

ColinJ

Here you go - the profile of my route avoiding Windermere/Bowness, and taking in Staveley. It is near enough 40 miles with a tough climb of the pass itself, a short steep climb off the descent, and another short steep climb at the start of the 3rd hill.

penrith-kirkstone-pass-oxenholme.gif

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I lived in the south lakes for 10 years before moving to Germany last year and this is a lovely ride with a number of options. Colin J has pretty much covered most of the points. Just to add to what he has said from local knowledge, Turn right out of the train station and head down to the motorway junction, then head along the A66. There is a track next to the road to keep you out of the main traffic flow. Then at the roundabout hang a right down to Eaumont Bridge. Then along to Pooly bridge, then follow the North shore of Ullswater to Glenridding. At Glenridding and Patterdale there are some tea shops and general stores to stock up on snacks before the killer climb up Kirkstone and it is a killer! From the summit you have two options, hang a right down the "Struggle" or keep going straight on, this is the one you want, then a fantastic descent awaits. If you fancy it a small diversion into Troutbeck Bridge will take you to the mortal man pub, a cracking spot. Now the trick here is not long after the first right turn to Troutbeck bridge you'll pass a church on your right and go over a small bridge. Then a couple of Kilometres on the left you'll see Fusethwaite lane leading to Moorhowe road. It's very steep at first and quite cruel on tired legs, but it's a lovely direct and quite route to Ings. Once in Ings follow the cycle track as it diverts into Stavely and take a welcome break in Wilfs Cafe. The cafe Colin mentions in his post.

An alternative to this ride would be to not turn off to Pooley Bridge at Eaumont Bridge but rather keep going over Shap fell and drop down into Kendal that way. Certainly not as brutal as Kirkstone. Another alternative is to turn left out of shap as if Joining the M6 then hang a right just before the Motorway and head down the lanes towards Tebay. Then wind your way slowly towards Kendal. All nice rides.

Here's a couple of shots to wet your appetite from when I last rode this way a couple of years back.
Kirkstone Pass Pub
9789120555_39e7d6e16b.jpg

Some other poor soul slogging up the pass:

9789125384_49f4349709.jpg

Ullswater from Pooley Bridge.
9788818194_0c38e722b1.jpg

Enjoy your ride!

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
Not called in to cc for a while, sorry.
My 2p if its not too late. Depending on what you want to do, unless you are desperate to do the steep side of Kirkstone (and it is bloomin hard work from that side) I'd go down the A6 as far as Shap village then just past the village go left (as if you were going to get on the M6) then 1st right takes you to Orton, then Tebay, then over the hill to Kendal. You could of course continue on the A6 and go over Shap summit. The A6 tends to be quiter and its well surfaced (mainly). I'm not too keen on the descent off Kirkstone, too twisty, too many slow cars and random suicidal sheep. I've been down at some serious speed in the past with cars pulling over to let me past!!, these days I realise I'm not immortal ;)
All the routes suggested above have good points. whichever you choose you'll enjoy your ride.
(edit: just noticed chriswoody has already suggested my route)

Top Bottom