People really will steal anything.........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
A worker in a mobile phone shop told me they had people stealing the dummy display phones. Pointless.
New phone, gets stolen or damaged(usually beyond recognition) claim on the insurance. Sell the old one on, keeping the new phone yourself.
All for the cost of a nicked dummy handset.

Dave7

Legendary Member
:rofl:Some bloke stole my wife:rofl:
Was she locked up properly ?

JoshM

Ive lost track of the number of times the estate staff st my work have had to replace stolen cutlery. They can literally buy 20 of each on a Monday, and by Friday we are down to 2 or 3. It's actually so bad that it's becoming a budgetary concern. Yes. You read that right. Forks as a budgetary concern.

I really don't know what people are doing with them!

classic33

Leg End Member
Ive lost track of the number of times the estate staff st my work have had to replace stolen cutlery. They can literally buy 20 of each on a Monday, and by Friday we are down to 2 or 3. It's actually so bad that it's becoming a budgetary concern. Yes. You read that right. Forks as a budgetary concern.

I really don't know what people are doing with them!
Best you don't, might not sleep at night.

Julia9054

Guru
Used to live in Leeds many years ago. My husband's ancient mini was parked outside our house. We lived on a hill and 3 weeks in a row we had to retrieve the car from the car park of the Indian restaurant over the t junction at the end of the road where it sat with it's doors open. Hit on the idea of parking it facing up the hill with the front wheels turned to the curb so they couldn't roll it anywhere. After that, all we had to do was go out and shut the doors! One Sunday morning we were woken by the police accusing my husband of stealing his own car because it was parked funny and the doors were open . . .

Profpointy

Legendary Member
New phone, gets stolen or damaged(usually beyond recognition) claim on the insurance. Sell the old one on, keeping the new phone yourself.
All for the cost of a nicked dummy handset.

not sure I follow - if you're going to (fraudulently) claim your 'phone's been nicked, what do you want a dummy one for? Likewise damaged - especially if you have to send in the "damaged" but clearly dummy one

PaulB

Legendary Member
A really bad thing happened in a place I worked at years ago. We had a terrific team spirit which was required given this was an operating theatre in an A&E hospital so we never knew what was coming through the doors next. Anyway, somebody did the worst thing that can be done to disrupt and ruin a team and start incriminations, denouncements and suspicions; this person stole from his/her (we didn't know at the time) colleagues!

Of all people, it was my wife (way before we'd become romantically linked) who pointed out who it was. Mind you, she'd have made a great detective, I can't get away with the slightest misdemeanour!

It turned out to be one of the longest-serving nurses who worked with us and she had no shame in stealing money from purses or out of other nurses' lockers. Some of her best friends fell victim to her thievery.

One fellow technician came under suspicion by the very thief that turned out to be the guilty one and he offered to turn out his pockets and give us the key to his locker but we unanimously refused as we knew with absolute certainty it wasn't him.

So eventually, the big boss obtained some indelible powder from the police and coated two five pound notes with is and the guilty nurse was caught literally green-handed! We all wanted her to be sacked as there were some real sad results of her theft. Some nurses couldn't afford bus fare home and one had filled up her car knowing she had enough to pay but her purse had been emptied before she got there!

classic33

Leg End Member
not sure I follow - if you're going to (fraudulently) claim your 'phone's been nicked, what do you want a dummy one for? Likewise damaged - especially if you have to send in the "damaged" but clearly dummy one
The dummy phone was the one that got nicked, often in front of a crowd. The real one was somewhere safe.
Similar with the damaged handset. You took the dummy, damaged beyond repair, back to the shop, and got it replaced there. Now you've to send such phones off.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I used to park a commuter motorbike off Glasshouse Street, near Regent Street in central London.

I returned one day to find the handlebar mitts had been stolen.

The rider of a bike next to mine was looking perplexed, unable to start her bike.

The kickstart lever had been stolen.

I was able to assist by bump starting her bike, something she didn't know how to do even if she was strong enough to do it.

doog

I left my bike outside a hotel in Manheim last year whilst I nipped in to negotiate a price and some scroat nicked my sweaty 'orrible cycling cap ...the daft bugger obviously didnt spot the GPS it was covering...

It was real pain trying to source a new bloody cap..

Oldbloke

Guru
A work colleague stripped out some manky ruined carpets from the house he'd rented out. Put them out by his front gate while he got his trailer to take them to the tip, 5 minutes later they'd been taken.

postman

Legendary Member
Not my story but one i can confirm is true.Each shift had it's own milk in a joint fridge,two shifts noticed their milk was not lasting as long as it should.But as hard as they could look,there was never a sign of milk from the other shift.So two shifts got together,agreed to keep quiet,no matter what turned out.They set up a contaminated milk supply.There was serious consequences when the other shift went down with very serious 'runs'.It never happened again,and despite an Inspector conducting an enquiry,nobody turned 'snout'.

Top Bottom