People with a child seat on their pannier rack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Our lass used to carry our eldest on a bike seat but her bike is a step through. He's 18 now and she still has the same bike. I saw a bike a few weeks ago were it had two seats on the back

Dan B

Disengaged member
My son (3 1/2, 18kg) is heavy enough that there's really no chance of forgetting he's on the back of the bike when I mount it. No danger of a baguette moment

It does wobble a bit, but it's perfectly manageable unless I stand on the pedals

willem

Über Member
Being Dutch we did this for years - two kids at the same time on bikes with step through frames with a pretty upright riding position. It was important to have pretty stiff frames. Best for that are aluminium frames with fat tubing. Upright was important for better stability and to keep some room for the child in the front seat. These days Dutch manufacturers have special models with wider handlebars, slightly longer frames for more space up front, and strong 26 inch wheels. These all have 3-7 speed hub gears, and should be horrible for climbing a hill I am afraid.

You can still get them http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...gclid=CIK-6PmyrccCFS3MtAodvl8ExA&gclsrc=aw.ds

They're great and my 5 year old loves it. I've got a couple a days off work this week as my wife will be working away so we have been planning where to go on the "big bike". Might be the last summer on it though as he's 5 and he's starting to get in the way of my knees.

Yes, they are the most "out of stock" item from the manufacturer. As soon as we get a few and need to replenish, they are O/O/S again! Very popular and not that dissimilar to the old fashioned ones, just with a wire back rest and strap

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Nice high crossbar and a child on the back here, regularly.

I just have to lift my leg nice and high and foot over first, whilst tiling the bike away from me slightly. It is difficult, and I still face the task with some trepidation. Nevertheless, I have yet to drop this bike with him in it.

Top Bottom