People with a child seat on their pannier rack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Thursday guy

How do they get on/off the bike?

For me, I get on my bike by swinging one of my legs over the back wheel. But that's impossible with a child seat?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Groin towards stem, swing bent leg, connect with said seat, shuffle a bit, lean bike sideways, try again, repeat as required and hope nobody saw the pantomime.

I was thinking the same thing a few days ago. Can you still get a seat which attaches to the cross bar or have they become so enormous that it would be physically impossible.
I have fond memories of cycle rides with my dad way back in the 50s. A cycle ride to the pub on a Sunday afternoon, sitting in the beer garden with a glass of lemonade and trying a sip of his beer .Yeuk! The cycle ride back with me ringing the bell and my dad feeding me Cheddar cheese straws. Father and son interaction.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
On holiday in France last year, a friend volunteered to carry the baguettes back to the house from the boulangerie. She stuck them in her pannier like flagpoles and promptly decapitated them as she swung her leg over to get back on the bike. The feeling was that it's a good thing she doesn't have children.

On holiday in France last year, a friend volunteered to carry the baguettes back to the house from the boulangerie. She stuck them in her pannier like flagpoles and promptly decapitated them as she swung her leg over to get back on the bike. The feeling was that it's a good thing she doesn't have children.

We took our nieces and nephews out for a day.....

Eldest 12 on a Brompton
Middle 7 on a trailer bike and youngest (3) in the trailer

Great time had by all as we sped along, splashed through puddles, and generally misbehaved (safely)

Stopped to have a picnic, and realised that..... there was a giggling three year old covered in mud

If you have short mudguards and leave the trailer front up then this is what happens

Even at the age of 18 she still remembers this!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The brother of a friend used to take his twins out on his bike when they were toddlers. One child seat on the back, and one in front. It always amazed me that he could mount and ride the bike with the weight of them high up trying to topple the bike over.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've done that one with baguettes and plants, and all manner of things that stick out of my pannier!

JMAG

Über Member
Can you still get a seat which attaches to the cross bar or have they become so enormous that it would be physically impossible.

You can still get them http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...gclid=CIK-6PmyrccCFS3MtAodvl8ExA&gclsrc=aw.ds

They're great and my 5 year old loves it. I've got a couple a days off work this week as my wife will be working away so we have been planning where to go on the "big bike". Might be the last summer on it though as he's 5 and he's starting to get in the way of my knees.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
The brother of a friend used to take his twins out on his bike when they were toddlers. One child seat on the back, and one in front. It always amazed me that he could mount and ride the bike with the weight of them high up trying to topple the bike over.

Riding is the easy bit, it is trying to load them that is tricky - especially when you realise that after you have done it, the garage door is still open

buggi

Bird Saviour
I hate child seats. I watch them holding on to the sides and imagine their little fingers getting spread all over the road if mummy/daddy topple the bike :sad:

Took my daughter all over on one of those things until she worked out the strap buckle and preferred to stand up in it patting me on the back to get me going faster, or worse still, trying to get off if she saw something she wanted a better view of. The foot straps were the worsed bit. She just wouldn't use them. I was terrified of her foot going in the spokes... I'm not that good at wheel truing.

I just swung my leg over the bars to get on. It helped that she loved me tipping the bike over to make it easier.

Her mother would have gone bonkers if she'd known, but it was great fun while it lasted.

Clanghead

I used to do this to take my two boys a couple of miles to nursery when they were between 2 and 4 (or on a longer trip to the Isle of Wight, below).
There was a very strict order to getting everyone on the bike - it was fun but going uphill was hard work.

Much more fun though when we got a tandem tag-along a year or so later and they were able to contribute - on the flat they could do all the pedalling and I'd just steer.

And no, I'm not looking for any advice on helmets or how they should be worn etc!

fort_victoria_8.jpg
into_town_8.jpg

Top Bottom