Perfect bike touring tent?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

coddy

You have exactly the same tents as me! The Pro-Action is fine for a night or two but any longer and I really appreciate the extra space and the porches on the Terra Nova.

Wow. That's a co-incidence, Helen. Guess what.... I've also got a Dawes Ultra Galaxy. :thumbsup:

Franckster

We've been using a Wild Country Duolite Tourer for the last few years. I'd recommend it. It's a two man tent with a big porch area and reasonably lightweight at around 3kg. That said, we're planning to get a Hilleberg Nallo 3GT for next years shenanigans in France. Outrageously expensive but much bigger (a three man) and in fact slightly lighter! Comes in at a featherlike 2.8kg I believe. Very easy to pitch and quality is excellent. On the price issue, I know many people who are buying caravans and motor homes. This is my version of the outdoor life and at £600 it's far cheaper than theirs.
Both of these tents are on YouTube if you care to view.
Have also got two Hewitt Cheviott SEs on order! It's going to be a blast...

andym

Über Member
Maybe if you have a tent that weighs 3 kg 2.8kgs seems like featherlite but to anyone else it's heavy.

But definitely lighter than a caravan.

slowdown

I found the Hilleberg Nallo 3GT had excellent build quality and was very quick to put up / take down.
I did find however, that the claimed weight was inaccurate, and the lightest I found after weighing 3 in a shop was 3.1kg. It was also very noisy in medium strength winds,however well pitched, which seems to be a common problem.
I have now sold it and have 2 Terra Nova tents - a standard Laser for single traveling, and a Solar 2.2 for more comfort or together with partner and couldn't be happier.
One tent which doesn't get mentioned very often is the new Vango Force Ten Nitro 200+, it has an accurate weight of 2.25kg, and a vestibule similar in size tl the Nallo 2GT, allowing to get the bike in the porch after removing the front wheel...if only it wasn't orange inside I would have gone for one.

Franckster

Maybe if you have a tent that weighs 3 kg 2.8kgs seems like featherlite but to anyone else it's heavy.

But definitely lighter than a caravan.

Ha ha, yeah I guess you're right. However, those of us that manage to get our wives to come with us on these adventures are lucky and few and far between. I wouldn't want to jinx my luck by announcing that from now on we're going to be sleeping beneath a tarp! She's do her fruit!

Franckster

I found the Hilleberg Nallo 3GT had excellent build quality and was very quick to put up / take down.
I did find however, that the claimed weight was inaccurate, and the lightest I found after weighing 3 in a shop was 3.1kg. It was also very noisy in medium strength winds,however well pitched, which seems to be a common problem.
I have now sold it and have 2 Terra Nova tents - a standard Laser for single traveling, and a Solar 2.2 for more comfort or together with partner and couldn't be happier.
One tent which doesn't get mentioned very often is the new Vango Force Ten Nitro 200+, it has an accurate weight of 2.25kg, and a vestibule similar in size tl the Nallo 2GT, allowing to get the bike in the porch after removing the front wheel...if only it wasn't orange inside I would have gone for one.

Interesting. Thanks for that. You're not the only one who has commented on the noise that the Hilleberg Nallo makes in moderate winds. As I had set my heart on one of these, I've started a new topic on it to invite other owners to share their experiences before taking the plunge.

Top Bottom