Performance sunglasses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PerryC

Regular
What do you guys think of the performance sunglasses like the Oakley's on Wiggle for instance, Does anybody use any sorts of Performance sunglasses out there or would standard sunglasses be fine, Seems like a lot of money just for sunglasses,
Which ones do you have and what's the benefits of them?

buggi

Bird Saviour
my last pair were Oakley's but they weren't polarised and still cost £100. i had trouble seeing in some sunlight conditions because it created blind spots. by contrast i now have a paid of Northwave polarised for £40 quid (bought because i broke my oakleys) and they are much better. the water runs off them too. Turned out my oakleys weren't broken after all (managed to get the arm put back on) but i still use my northwave now.

i think the important thing is to go for (a) polarised (b) something that suits you, and not really get hung up on the name.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Here's a thing:

Unless you are incredibly lucky or incredibly fortunate you will drop your glasses at some stage or pick up a mystery scratch or lose the damn things.

To me that's not so bad with cheaper glasses (that block UV as well as the more expensive ones) but for a couple of hundred pounds it would hack me off.

For cycling I use some £17.00 Avenirs (4 different lenses) and in 6 months I have already scratched them by dropping them twice*. Spot on, do the job ie block UV and do not mist up (at least whilst you are in motion).

For climbing/hiking I use some £30.00 Bloc Cobra's (really good glasses) and these have inevitably become battered* but still do the job. If my Avenirs are having a laugh and are hiding from me I use these for cycling and they are terrific - no good for low light though as they are blue mirrored and the world becomes dangerously dark with them on!

Scratching either does not bother me and apart from mild irritation neither would losing them.

*Maybe I am just clumsy!

I have a mate with 3 pairs of Oakleys (mad!) and he fusses over the damn things as though they are a new born baby. Not my cup of tea really mollycoddling functional kit.

Last edited:

Kies

As said above, i keep my smart expensive glasses for general use. On the bike - cheap and cheerful

As said above, i keep my smart expensive glasses for general use. On the bike - cheap and cheerful

The thing is, you are more likely to need decent eye protection on the bike than you are just walking around.

Oakleys are silly money but everyone who buys them claims they are worth it (probably because they are too embarrassed to admit anything different). Chinese fakeleys are ok, but don't last - I have two pairs (radars and jawbones) and they are both broken in less than 12 months.

The Avenirs mentioned earlier are good. However, my own recommendation would be Uvex Crows. About £50, but easily as good as shades costing double that.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Chinese fakeleys are ok, but don't last - I have two pairs (radars and jawbones) and they are both broken in less than 12 months.
12months from a pair of fakes is probably really good VFM! I've seen genuine,reasonably new oakleys in worse enough condition I could have cried.

I've always been clumsy with glasses, looking for them while they're on my head kind of clumsy. Dropped my chinese oakleys at an event a few weeks back and broke the nosebridge(jawbones). Spares in the case at home,scratch on the frame but no lens damage.

I'd be very upset if they were genuine.

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
Being an old fart I can't see close up worth a damn any more. In order to see both where I'm going and how fast slowly the cycle computer says I'm going I where bifocal safety glasses from straightlines. They come in clear, yellow, or smoke lenses, and the style doesn't look too geeky either.

12months from a pair of fakes is probably really good VFM! I've seen genuine,reasonably new oakleys in worse enough condition I could have cried.

The Jawbones are still usable, tbh, but the Radars have snapped across the nose bridge. Tried superglueing it - lasted about 1 day. I agree though - for about 17 notes each, the value (including the pose factor) is pretty good. The Uvex Crows are quality though.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
The Jawbones are still usable, tbh, but the Radars have snapped across the nose bridge. Tried superglueing it - lasted about 1 day. I agree though - for about 17 notes each, the value (including the pose factor) is pretty good. The Uvex Crows are quality though.
Main problem I have now is they are useless at night due to 3 lenses all being dark. Have to dig out my trusty clear lens decathlon £10 jobbies

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've had two sets of genuine M Frames snap and perish at just over 12 months old. Before the days I needed prescription lenses though.

Top Bottom