Perhaps a silly question?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
View attachment 450326 Any idea what this circular looking washer thing is on the down Tube?
It doesn’t look like fixing points for down tube shifters, don’t know what it is?
Anchor point for a mudguard.

OP
OP
davidphilips

davidphilips

Veteran
Thanks for all the help and great advice , Thought it was alloy just was not sure, pity it would have been a great buy if it was titanium.

LOL, Apart from burning it as Marky said still for me it was/is very hard to tell?

Last edited:
Ti frames are an alloy, as are aluminum frames, as are steel frames etc etc. I think that is the point people were making about it being an alloy frame.
It looks like Ti, not aluminium. Have you asked the buyer?

OP
OP
davidphilips

davidphilips

Veteran
Ti frames are an alloy, as are aluminum frames, as are steel frames etc etc. I think that is the point people were making about it being an alloy frame.
It looks like Ti, not aluminium. Have you asked the buyer?

Not asked buyer as tbh even if they said it is titanium i could not recommend it to the club member who wants a small titanium bike because if they bought it and its alloy/aluminium then i would be in the firing line best for me just to say nothing, pity could have been a great buy.

Thanks for all the help and great advice , Thought it was alloy just was not sure, pity it would have been a great buy if it was titanium.

LOL, Apart from burning it as Marky said still for me it was very hard to tell?

The point of it all is that it is made from a Titanium alloy.

There is no such metal as alloy. Alloy is a process whereby metals are mixed to create certain desirable properties.

None of the metals you and I encounter on our daily goings about are pure metals, they are all alloys.

Steel is an alloy of iron, carbon, molybdenum, vanadium etc.
Aluminium is an alloy of aluminium, vanadium, magnesium etc.
Titanium is an alloy of aluminium, vanadium etc etc.

Your fancy car wheels are made from a magnesium alloy. Mostly magnesium, but also some aluminium.
Your spanners in your workshop are an alloy of steel (iron and carbon) and vanadium.
Your Reynolds bike frame is an alloy of iron and other metals, depending on the type.

Note that carbon is not a metal but when it is introduced into iron, we consider it to be a steel alloy.

That is the point of my obscure comment. It is definitely an alloy, but the doubt was whether it was a Ti or Al alloy.

In my view, the frame is Titanium (alloy). The fork is carbon though.

If you think it is a good buy, get it. I'm not judging the value, just the metal.

Titanium is an alloy of aluminium, vanadium etc etc.

Errrm.

0C1545A6-B6F3-4167-86FE-E79E8182F1A2.jpeg

Top Bottom