Perhaps I won't risk riding that today..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

Thanks Dave. I hadn't realised this was even a likely problem until now.. The rim looks fine so like you, I hope to keep that.

I suspect the hub was faulty in some way and the pothole just finished it off. It's been many years since I've seen one go like that. When I was a young fella and on fixed for the first time I had a habit of doing that to hubs, drive side about every twelve to eighteen months. If you reuse the rim check the braking surface for wear, if it's too worn you'd be better off with a new wheel.

slow scot

Veteran
I'd been out for a night ride last night and thought I'd heard a ping!
Assumed just broken spoke but rode a good a couple of miles with it in that state- v. Lucky!
View attachment 412413
View attachment 412414

Certainly a new one on me though I reckon the hub and wheel has done about 15,000 miles. Wondered if this is something anyone else here has suffered?

i can now add fracturing hubs to my long list of stuff to worry about!
LBS it is for me tomorrow.
Happened to me on a fairly new Ultegra hub on a Spa built touring wheel; a rear hub. Like you I thought I'd broken a spoke. The chap at Spa said they'd come across it from time to time, told me to post the wheel down, and sent newly built wheel back within 48 hours.

I suspect the hub was faulty in some way and the pothole just finished it off. It's been many years since I've seen one go like that. When I was a young fella and on fixed for the first time I had a habit of doing that to hubs, drive side about every twelve to eighteen months. If you reuse the rim check the braking surface for wear, if it's too worn you'd be better off with a new wheel.

possibly an impurity in the metal that wasn't spotted, you'd only really find it with an X-Ray and it's allowed a crack to slowly open up over time until it's pinged.

D

Deleted member 1258

possibly an impurity in the metal that wasn't spotted, you'd only really find it with an X-Ray and it's allowed a crack to slowly open up over time until it's pinged.

That sounds about right, the pothole was the last straw.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
Glow worm

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Happened to me on a fairly new Ultegra hub on a Spa built touring wheel; a rear hub. Like you I thought I'd broken a spoke. The chap at Spa said they'd come across it from time to time, told me to post the wheel down, and sent newly built wheel back within 48 hours.

That's good service!
Just back from my LBS- the guys there were quite surprised to see the broken hub but they had seen similar before. I've bough a cheap wheel to be going on with for now (got them to bung my old cassette onto it) and will have the old wheel re-built with a decent new hub in time. (I now have one black and one silver wheel which doesn't look great but was all they had!)
I wonder if its worth sending Shimano a photo of the damage. I'm not after any refund or freebie- ( the hub's done thousands of miles*) but they might find it useful.

*Edit- just checked my records - 21,838 miles.

Last edited:
It's worth letting Shimano know about it, as you say they might only log it as an incident for their own product improvement, they might choose to do something by way of a goodwill gesture

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I had the same thing happen to me with an older French hub some years back, but I deal with oil and gravel roads, and sometimes just plain gravel, which is a bit sticky in the summer and creates, I believe, some stress from that action of the sticky tar coming in contact with the tire against the rotation of the wheel. Add to that the crumbling infrastructure seemingly universal to the times we live in, and hubs may move a little higher on the cyclists wish list.

Lonestar

Veteran
And that is why everyone needs more than 1 bike. For these sort of occasions.

Oh definitely.

Top Bottom