Perhaps I won't risk riding that today..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I'd been out for a night ride last night and thought I'd heard a ping!
Assumed just broken spoke but rode a good a couple of miles with it in that state- v. Lucky!
IMG_2947.JPG

IMG_2948.JPG

Certainly a new one on me though I reckon the hub and wheel has done about 15,000 miles. Wondered if this is something anyone else here has suffered?

i can now add fracturing hubs to my long list of stuff to worry about!
LBS it is for me tomorrow.

Slick

Guru
Looks nasty, is it an old bike?

Slick

Guru
The bike’s 10 years old but the wheel only about 4 years. Done a few miles though, and I do a lot of rough tracks and bridleways which, on reflection, probably doesn’t help. I don’t travel light either.
Fair enough then. It just looked like fatigue to me but the use you describe could explain it.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Hmmmm! My commuter has a Shimano MTB hub that has done over 16000 miles, not always smooth and often with a loaded pannier. I really wouldn't expect that failure from a decent spec Shimano hub, how many spokes in that wheel? I run 36 in my rear wheel so that might help....

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I'm not sure it would. Mine was a 36h hub - though I am on the heavy side, and I possibly did the tension up a bit too tight when I built the wheel which won't have helped.

OP
OP
Glow worm

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Hmmmm! My commuter has a Shimano MTB hub that has done over 16000 miles, not always smooth and often with a loaded pannier. I really wouldn't expect that failure from a decent spec Shimano hub, how many spokes in that wheel? I run 36 in my rear wheel so that might help....

Yep- 36 here too. i guess that's why, when I heard a ping in the dark I was sure I could make it home on 35. The horror was only revealed this morning. Guess I was v lucky!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I'm not sure it would. Mine was a 36h hub - though I am on the heavy side, and I possibly did the tension up a bit too tight when I built the wheel which won't have helped.

Yep- 36 here too. i guess that's why, when I heard a ping in the dark I was sure I could make it home on 35. The horror was only revealed this morning. Guess I was v lucky!

What kind of spokes? I have read that butted spokes are less likely to snap as the thinner part is stretchy. I guess this will also help reduce shock loading/fatigue at the hub flange as well, but I may be spouting utter nonsense?

OP
OP
Glow worm

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I had one go the same way about 3 years ago which had far less mileage than yours. Shimano (and probably other) hubs do go like that occasionally. There's some discussion on them in this thread on yacf - https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=105622

In some ways I'm reassured by that link. I've checked my records and my hub's done well over 15,000 miles. The things are not going to last forever, especially on my kind of terrain, so it's good there was no catastrophic failure after a fracture like that.
(Note to self- replace hubs at least every 10,000 miles!)

D

Deleted member 1258

I had my rear hub go like that a few weeks ago after clattering a pothole. No damage to the rim, I had the LBS rebuild the wheel with a new hub and spokes and the old rim.

OP
OP
Glow worm

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I had my rear hub go like that a few weeks ago after clattering a pothole. No damage to the rim, I had the LBS rebuild the wheel with a new hub and spokes and the old rim.

Thanks Dave. I hadn't realised this was even a likely problem until now.. The rim looks fine so like you, I hope to keep that.

Top Bottom