Periformis syndrome

Discussion in 'Training, Fitness and Health' started by slunker, 9 Apr 2010.

1. slunker

slunker New Member

Got a real dull ache in my left buttock and after doing some research it looks like periformis syndrome. Has anyone else suffered with this and is it manageable?

Any tips welcome.

2. jann71

jann71 Über Member

Make sure you do some piriformis stretches after cycling, the ones which work well for me are one where you lie down and one where you sit on the floor, although there are lots, sure you will find some pics on google.
    If you use spds it may be worth trying a bit of tweaking on the left one.

3. OP
    OP
    slunker

slunker New Member

Tweaking?? In what manner?

4. jann71

jann71 Über Member

Are both your feet straight when pedalling or do they point slightly in or out? Its normally a biomechanical issue where your foot may point slightly out, may only be a few degrees or if the muscles in that area are already tight.

5. Chrisc

Chrisc Über Member

Do em before as well.

6. Sargent

Sargent Senior Member

Hi.

I suffer from this from time to time.

Got it real bad a few years ago, when i took up running. Thankfully, with a few weeks of physio, I was back running and cycling in no time. But its always a weakness I've got.

Just have to remember to do the right stretches.

My feet overpronate, so I have to have special shoes for running. I really should look at what I'm wearing for cycling, but cycling doesn't really affect me that way running does.

Anyway, if you have a bit of money available, having a sports physio appointment is well worth it.

Good luck

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice