Perils of buying 2nd hand and goings on in my garage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Holy moly thread resurrection time.
Wanted a cheap flippable project and these two popped up.

The muddy fox seeker is well spaced and very lightly used on first inspection and fitted the bill at cheap and enough good bits to make it add up either way.

IMG_20240421_170032.jpg

IMG_20240421_170036.jpg

Then this Dawes Jaguar popped up looked OK in advert. Needs a bit more work and bits than the Muddy fox maybe but nothing I don't have in the garage.

And it's still got my lbs's sticker on it

IMG_20240421_170026.jpg

IMG_20240421_170044.jpg

IMG_20240421_170047.jpg

So they should keep me busy thinking get the Dawes mobile first then look at the Muddy fox but will see.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Had a spare bit of time tonight and i have now managed to strip the Giant crs 4.0 from all removable parts i required , so if anyone fancies a free frame and fork set get in touch

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Had a puncture visit just a mile from home on this morning's ride after catching the edge of a pothole .

Tyre stayed inflated for a short while but I noticed straight away a lumpy vibration from the rear wheel which was also noticeable walking home.

Pulled it all apart and replaced the tube and noticed the wheel wasn't spinning freely and the rim looked the correct shape so replaced the rear axle and all seems good now , test will be on the next ride .

simongt

Guru
Wonder when Dawes stopped naming their bikes after animals - ? Biggs 682 has just acquired a Jaguar, I have a 1981 Fox.
Similar looking bikes, but I think a Jaguar would beat a Fox in a race, although it probably depends on who's chasing who - ! :laugh:

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Was the replaced axle bent?

It certainly looks like it when I roll it along the edge of the freezer come work bench lid in the garage

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Wonder when Dawes stopped naming their bikes after animals - ? Biggs 682 has just acquired a Jaguar, I have a 1981 Fox.
Similar looking bikes, but I think a Jaguar would beat a Fox in a race, although it probably depends on who's chasing who - ! :laugh:

I've got a mid 80s Dawes Shadow.

The Jaguar and the Fox would be chasing Shadows ;)

(Actually I think it's lower spec bike than the Jaguar- it's Reynolds 500 CroMo tubing)

Last edited:

I can play too, as I have an Emmelle Leopard 10. :biggrin:

Although it's not going to be able to do much chasing, given that it's currently in bits. :laugh: It's been retired from being ridden (frame too big) and given it's more than just a little bit tired, it's now my "learn how to mend stuff" bike.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Had an hour in the garage this afternoon so thought I'd fit tyres and tubes to the dedicated wheels for the Dawes Jaguar front went ok and even managed to strip and clean the old side pull caliper as it was a bit sticky. Started to do same thing on the rear and finally managed to get it done apart from doing the rear caliper.
But it's getting there slowly.

Top Bottom