Perils of buying 2nd hand and goings on in my garage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Early testing miles found the front mech struggling to do it's job no matter what I did .
I couldn't see why at first then noticed that the gap between the frame and inner ring was bigger than all my other bikes.
Upon removal of crankset I found a 122 mm bottom bracket which had also been fitted the wrong way round with those horrible plastic cups in the wrong sides.
Once all this was removed and a 112 mm unit fitted hey presto .
Yesterday's test ride was 50 miles and went extremely well.
Did the 'new' BB actually move the chain line 5mm in? What BB did you choose?
How could the plastic cups, which I agree are to be avoided, screw in the wrong sides? Aren't they left/right BB shell thread dependent?

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Did the 'new' BB actually move the chain line 5mm in? What BB did you choose?
How could the plastic cups, which I agree are to be avoided, screw in the wrong sides? Aren't they left/right BB shell thread dependent?
Well I didn't measure the exact gap but it certainly allows the front mech to move chain across with quite a bit of movement in reserve .

I chose whichever one it was I had sat around the garage but couldn't tell you make and model as it had no markings on.

Not quite sure they had managed to mix the cups up when fitting all I know is that they came out cleanly enough without any damage to bottom bracket threads.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Been a while since I have bought a bike that has needed a bit of tinkering.
IMG_20230425_142609587_HDR.jpg

This Galaxy was picking up earlier in the week at a good price so couldn't resist it .

Not much known about its previous life other than owner now gone to uni his grandparents were selling it for him .

According to the drinks bottle it had done the local church ride a few years ago and I doubt it had been used for a while.
First job was to inflate tyres, remove the bar bag and it's carrier , two old trip computers and associated wiring and re position saddle and bar height to suit me.
Just completed a 6 mile test ride and apart from a skipping chain in the smallest three cogs all went well, once at home checked chain wear and it was under 50% so I focused on the links and found two stuff ones that have been gently manipulated so will see how it goes on the next ride.

Jameshow

Veteran
Thanks could have done with next size up

Looks fine to me!!

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
It was the Dawes turn today for a few miles as I needed to try and locate a slight rotational noise that was apparent on my 6 mile initial test ride.

The noise was a strange one as it sounded like every so often something would be pushed around and make a noise it was there whilst freewheeling so not the bottom bracket and it sounded like it was coming from the front wheel which spins up nicely and ran true no loose spokes etc etc after several stops to do adjustments I decided it had to be from the fr hub so once home I checked the bearings and they were dryish but no noticeable wear showing so gave it all a clean and some fresh grease and a quieter short test ride and problem seems solved , so just the rear to do next .

IMG_20230501_064106693.jpg

simongt

Guru
I bought a '91 Super Galaxy two years ago; excellent condition for it's age. I'm shortly having the derailleur replaced with a SA 8 speed. An odd conversion some may think, :whistle: but the SA came off my GT Bravado which had been trashed in a rear ender five years ago, so it makes sense to repurpose it as the Galaxy drivetrain is due for replacement anyway and the SA has barely done 1k. miles.
Also, a hub gear makes sense for me as, drivetrain efficiency aside, I'm a cruiser out for the journey, not the record and it's almost a 'fit and forget' item. :okay:

Last edited:
OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I bought a '91 Super Galaxy two years ago; excellent condition for it's age. I'm shortly having the derailleur replaced with a SA 8 speed. An odd conversion some may think, :whistle: but the SA came off my GT Bravado which had been trashed in a rear ender five years ago, so it makes sense to repurpose it as the Galaxy drivetrain is due for replacement anyway and the SA has barely done 1k. miles.
Also, a hub gear makes sense for me as, drivetrain efficiency aside, I'm a cruiser out for the journey, not the record and it's almost a 'fit and forget' item. :okay:

A Galaxy with an SA hub sounds a very relaxed style of bike to me

Top Bottom