Perils of buying 2nd hand and goings on in my garage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Am I alone in being surprised that biggs didn't already have the tool?

ChrisEyles

Guru
I was just looking at that tool and thinking it would make life much easier than the old Raleigh multi-tool cone spanner / BB lock-ring tool I use for this. I'll bet Biggs has plenty of those knocking around!

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Am I alone in being surprised that biggs didn't already have the tool?

Don't get many bikes fitted with modern campagnolo in my price range normally.

I was just looking at that tool and thinking it would make life much easier than the old Raleigh multi-tool cone spanner / BB lock-ring tool I use for this. I'll bet Biggs has plenty of those knocking around!

Yes just a few and all slightly different.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Whilst the Mercian is waiting for a chain , I decided to start on another bike and first job was to remove the crankset and bottom bracket.

All came apart nicely considering it's been sat for 10+ years . Bottom bracket is Italian threaded .

Next job is to try and repair this slow puncture on the the front tub :laugh:

Sure @midlife will be along with the same answer as mine .

Big John

Guru
Pipe wrench (a big one) and if that doesn't shift it then shove some sort of easing fluid into the seat tube by removing the bottom bracket. Let it soak in well and then the pipe wrench again. Don't you just love a challenge? :laugh:

Get yourself a MASSHOOF drill bit and bore out the middle it should then be possible to fold it in on itself

If I was going to use that method, I'd start with relatively small drill bit, half the diameter of the post, say, and ream it out in stages, a couple of millimeters at a time.

Less chance of damaging the frame if you don't get the drill bit 100% square than trying to do it in one go.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Been after another Koga miyata in the right size for age's.

And this 1996 model Road Runner model came up locally and after a bit of haggling it ended up in my garage on fathers day ^_^ .

It needs a bit of fettling but basically looks ok and rides ok .

Some brake adjustment this morning and some slightly worn Marathons fitted tonight makes it rideable to see what else needs doing

Top Bottom