Perils of buying 2nd hand and goings on in my garage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've skimmed the thread but have I missed the Decathlon final price or is that yet to come?

One thing about any CF forks is that if you suspect the bike has been in a crash they really should be replaced. Any cracks can be invisible and internal and if its a aluminium steerer and CF blades the bonding can fail in fact many of the CF recalls possibly the majority were/are aluminium steerers with CF blades not full CF forks. Forks failing can be the most devastating failure on a bike and the most life threatening. Much more dangerous than a failing CF frame.

I don't think you can scan aluminium steerer with CF blades either because its the bonding that is the issue a lot of the time.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I've skimmed the thread but have I missed the Decathlon final price or is that yet to come?

One thing about any CF forks is that if you suspect the bike has been in a crash they really should be replaced. Any cracks can be invisible and internal and if its a aluminium steerer and CF blades the bonding can fail in fact many of the CF recalls possibly the majority were/are aluminium steerers with CF blades not full CF forks. Forks failing can be the most devastating failure on a bike and the most life threatening. Much more dangerous than a failing CF frame.

I don't think you can scan aluminium steerer with CF blades either because its the bonding that is the issue a lot of the time.
From memory the Triban sold for just over the £100 but it was nearly 2 years ago

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Went to do the rear wheel bearings tonight , but found the rear axle shaft had broken so just ordered a new shaft

New shaft arrived yesterday https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172833287357 fitted after work along with some fresh grease wheel now spins freely and quietly.

For anyone who hasn't replaced an axle you need a pair of cone spanners and whatever cassette removing tool suits your cassette or rear block .

First road test this morning only 1.5 miles but smooth ride needs a few adjustments to front mech .

Next is bar tape and brake cables

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
New rear tyre and Rim tape fitted tonight and I hate folding tyres
IMG_20220226_193054120.jpg

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
This morning's jobs were too replace brake cables and bar tape .

All done replaced the white bar tape with black and the black outer cables with white and I like it.

Oh and a little test ride.
IMG_20220304_063334421.jpg

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Early testing miles found the front mech struggling to do it's job no matter what I did .
I couldn't see why at first then noticed that the gap between the frame and inner ring was bigger than all my other bikes.
Upon removal of crankset I found a 122 mm bottom bracket which had also been fitted the wrong way round with those horrible plastic cups in the wrong sides.
Once all this was removed and a 112 mm unit fitted hey presto .
Yesterday's test ride was 50 miles and went extremely well.

Top Bottom