Perils of buying 2nd hand and goings on in my garage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Just had an hour on the Ribble cabling up the mechanisms using an Aldi supplied bell cable kit which are around £5 and good quality .

View attachment 475760
View attachment 475769

And fitting the new 8 speed cassette cost £22 and fitting the rear tyre to the set of no's wheels that I am using .

Next step is to fit the new chain £8.99 and adjust the gears and cable up the brakes .
View attachment 475770

Not factoring in a cost for the wheels as the one's I removed will be used on a n other bike in the near future.
Pretty good cable, especially with a thin coat of grease on it. I have seen it rust, and it is not as pliable as some other brands, but I often use it for my projects. I like the newer version, which has plastic cable ends. The old ones had metal crimp ends, which are more versatile, but have their drawbacks as well.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
First road test after some gear setting up and adjustments. All 16 Claris controlled and Sora activated gears are selectable .
IMG_20190718_200624397.jpg
IMG_20190718_201021398.jpg

Still a couple of jobs to do but at least it's ready for some testing .

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Finally decided that the Raleigh record sprint is next for attention.

IMG_20190824_170147826_HDR.jpg

So dragged it out of the shed and started work this afternoon by fitting a rear mechanism, chain, gear cable and a different set of wheels .

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Did a bit more work on this one today trying to figure out what was going on with the brakes .

I think the main issue was the cables were sticking and the ferrules inside the lever's had split .

So I set about changing the cables including the hidden rear one . I always pull the old inner cable out first .

IMG_20190826_124343129.jpg

Then feed the new inner down the old outer before removing the old outer .

IMG_20190826_124345769.jpg

And then slide the new outer along the inner cable that is still run through the frame .

MVIMG_20190826_130335391.jpg

As I was doing the cabling I noticed that the bars were slightly out of shape !

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Just been adding up total spent on parts for the Ribble was £40.99 of new parts the sti units and wheels came out of my garage stock , the wheels that came with the ribble have gone in to my garage stock as have the brifter units to be used on another project at a later date .

This was handed over last weekend to a new owner who had been looking for a new bike to replace one that had been written off .

So far i have spent out on cables only for the Raleigh Sprint which i am trying to finish off without buying any more parts as hoping to keep this one under the £75 budget

Good afternoon,

I ran across this by accident;

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7544648

Argos are selling a bike tool kit for £349, given how much their bikes cost I had to smile.

I do have a bookmark looking for a sale price of £49.99

I had a Record Sprint with the gold and black Sugino chainset and apart from the fact that the frame broke where the down tube joined the head tube it was a great bike.

Bye

Ian
Edit to update link: 6/Sept

Last edited:
OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Well the sprint has been finished and sold on under the £75 budget to it's new owner .

Apart from cables the rest was all either as arrived or from bit's and bobs around the garage .

Not sure whats next but i will advise once i decide

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
All the parts turned up either yesterday or today so first job was to try and get the bottom bracket out .

Having the correct tool certainly helped as did the big spanner on the end for a bit more leverage.

Once out wiped it down re greased the threads and screwed it in the Mercian frame .

Whilst I had the grease out I gave the headset bearings some new grease .

Next job was to slide the wheels in and yes there will be matching tyres soon . Thankfully the calipers look to have the right amount of drop as well ^_^

Top Bottom