Perils of buying 2nd hand and goings on in my garage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rualexander

Legendary Member
I wouldn't describe any of the things identified as 'faults' in the OP as faults (or 'perils of buying second hand') they are all just things that are due to wear and tear or things that may not be quite the way most of us like our bikes to be set up.

Solid axle nutted wheel is not a fault.
Missing bottle cage bolts is not a fault.
Worn chain and cassette and tyres is not a fault
An abnormally aligned seatpost qr lever is not a fault.
A loose saddle clamp is not a fault.
The brake cables being outwith the bar tape is not a fault.

Of all the things wrong with that bike, the one that grates the most is the stem spacers and flipped stem. I haven't counted but there must be 6 or 7 5mm spacers on there and then they have turned the stem over to lose some height :wacko:

Equally, these are not faults either, but may be personal set up preferences.

Its a second hand bike, some things will be worn, some things will not match the buyer's personal preference.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I wouldn't describe any of the things identified as 'faults' in the OP as faults (or 'perils of buying second hand') they are all just things that are due to wear and tear or things that may not be quite the way most of us like our bikes to be set up.

Solid axle nutted wheel is not a fault.
Missing bottle cage bolts is not a fault.
Worn chain and cassette and tyres is not a fault
An abnormally aligned seatpost qr lever is not a fault.
A loose saddle clamp is not a fault.
The brake cables being outwith the bar tape is not a fault.

Equally, these are not faults either, but may be personal set up preferences.

Its a second hand bike, some things will be worn, some things will not match the buyer's personal preference.
Maybe not faults as such (although a worn drivetrain is certainly a replacement cost that will have to be factored into the purchase price) but added together these things point toward a bike that has possibly been neglected by the previous owner.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Quick update : Day 4 of commuting a whole 12 miles on this machine has just started and so far i am well impressed by this machine it ride's well and feels good .
At this rate it will be used for a 25+ mile weekend ride
Waiting for £18 worth of headset spacer's and seat post clamp to arrive then i can finish off the set up i am not putting this cost against the bike as i have ordered a qty to top up my stores

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Got home tonight and the postman had delivered my awaiting parts

IMG_20190704_200716644.jpg

And I have just found a couple of different lengths of stem so hopefully I can play setting the reach up tomorrow am .

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
With the Triban now up and running smoothly and ready for some more miles .

It's time to start on the next bike , a Ribble that has seen very little use since being previous owner built .

IMG_20190710_052809603.jpg

Done some fault correction already so I could try it and work out what else was needed .

IMG_20190710_052802147.jpg

IMG_20190710_055925299.jpg

But this stage is converting flats to drops .

Drago

Legendary Member
Blimey Martin, you had a tidy up? I can see some floor!

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Blimey Martin, you had a tidy up? I can see some floor!

Only in that area trust me .

Some of the work required so far has been swapping front caliper allen key bolt for a carbon specific one as original was only on half a turn !

Wheels fitted are 126 mm spaced and frame is 130 so spaced wheels to fit by adding some washers , new wheels being fitted to accept 8+ speed choice .

Front mudguard mount bracket missing so new bracket to fit

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Just had an hour on the Ribble cabling up the mechanisms using an Aldi supplied bell cable kit which are around £5 and good quality .

IMG_20190716_201434871.jpg

IMG_20190716_201439006.jpg

And fitting the new 8 speed cassette cost £22 and fitting the rear tyre to the set of no's wheels that I am using .

Next step is to fit the new chain £8.99 and adjust the gears and cable up the brakes .
IMG_20190716_202729887.jpg

Not factoring in a cost for the wheels as the one's I removed will be used on a n other bike in the near future.

Top Bottom