Personal challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Linford

We all have our mountains to climb, and I have chosen one which I hope to be fit enough to manage before the end of the year...My home town (Cheltenham) to Stratford-Upon-Avon and back...about 65 miles as a round trip with a few gradients thrown in.

I managed just under 30 miles last night with a few climbs thrown in, and as long as I'm able to bimble along at my own pace, should be able to manage that with a few more long rides thrown in (as long as my dodgy knee doesn't start complaining)

I know the distance is something which quite a few here go and do every weekend without a second thought, but it is a biggie for me beingout of the loop for a few years on a roadie, and something I really want to achieve.

Still a bit sore (legs) from yesterdays ride, but hopefully looking to do one day on, one day off if other things permit :smile: The bike is pretty much there now anyway :smile:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
@Linford I am sure you will manage it ok. Check the weather forecast and pick out a nice day and just take your time with lots of nibbles and a couple of drink bottles to keep you going. Look forward to hearing how you get on.

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

I need to do a few rides before I'm up to this point. so thanks for the tip.
I was doing a few 50 milers back in the day, but I had been riding it about 6 months or more before I got up to that point.

Teuchter

Über Member
What's your route? I can see Cleeve Hill being a bad start to things if it's the back roads through Winchcombe and Broadway.

Used to be a regular weekend motorbike run for me when I lived in those parts (Bishops Cleeve) but in those days, I cycled far less than I do now so never tackled Cleeve Hill under pedal power.

Good luck whichever way you go. A pint in Stratford will help with the return trip!

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

I don't think I'd get to Broadway if I went over the hill :biggrin:
I was looking to go Gotherington, Prestcott, Gretton, Toddington, and then Broadway, Willersey, Long Marston, and then Stratford. I've done the route loads of times on motorbikes as I was keen to see the drag racing at (what is now) Shakespeare raceway in Long Marston. I don't really fancy the main roads.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
What a good idea for a sticky thread....Personal Challenges..just a way to put something down for individual inspirations.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Good luck.

I am hoping to do the Cambridge to Norwich ride on the 29th September. 77 miles so it will take me over the metric century for the first time in a couple of decades. Just now putting in some miles and hoping that some funds come my way soon as work is so slow.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
For what it's worth, I built up to my first metric and imperial centuries earlier this year and reckon it's something that any reasonably fit cyclist can aspire to if a): you have a decent comfy saddle and b): you pace yourself and don't rush.

Best of luck with it.:thumbsup: Also to @hopless500, @Saluki and hopefully it went well for @S1mon. ^_^

P.S.: Flapjacks are great for fuel on the way round.:hungry:

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

For what it's worth, I built up to my first metric and imperial centuries earlier this year and reckon it's something that any reasonably fit cyclist can aspire to if a): you have a decent comfy saddle and b): you pace yourself and don't rush.

Best of luck with it.:thumbsup: Also to @hopless500, @Saluki and hopefully it went well for @S1mon. ^_^

P.S.: Flapjacks are great for fuel on the way round.:hungry:

Liking the flapjack bit. I have to be a bit more careful though as I'm diabetic so the sugar control is poor....this bit is a real motivator for me as my doc wanted me on insulin at Christmas, and I resisted with the condition I get bloody minded about self control in the diet and exercise stakes.
I'm really wanting to ride the bike every day at the moment, but am pacing myself with one day on, one day off and 20 mile (ish) rides for a few weeks to allow my fitness levels to rise to reduce the risk of burning myself out. Thighs are feeling a bit bruised from some of the climbs I did on thursday, but getting easier, and not aching so much when setting off now in the first few warm up miles now :smile:

Top Bottom