Personal Challenges

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

David Garside

I'm a bit of a fair-weather cyclist too, but I want to do the London to Brighton next year so I've been trying to get the mileage up since July when I started riding again. I'm up to 31.5 miles now so feel a 50 mile ride before the end of the year is on the cards. The 31.5 was done yesterday...Andover to Coombe Gibbet....and back...very, very hilly and no I didn't get off and push at any time. I've got to go a bit steady though as I'm now 58 and don't want to kill myself lol....

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

That was always the mistake I made, being a bit of a fairweather cyclist. When we had the bad summers from 2007 to 2012, I wasn't riding much in the summer months either, but I ate as if I was! That is how I put on 4 stone, lost my fitness, and it probably was one of the factors in my near-fatal illness as well.

I have only done one hard winter of cycling between 2 good summers, and by the second summer, I was at my fittest ever!

Over the last 30 years I have only stopped cycling in winter when either its been impossible to cycle or I've been suffering some sort of illness.

Top Bottom