Personal Challenges

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
How about some speed challenges, rather than distance? For example - a 5 hour century, or an 8 hour 200, if you haven't already managed those. (Insert times/distances of your own choice.)
I'm not really a quick person. I thought about a 10,000 mile year but it's difficult to get motivated for that. In fact it's difficult for me to get motivated full stop. I come up with a stupid idea (LEL for example), tell many, many people that I'm going to do it so I feel I have to and then I get stubborn and do it.

I'll just ride for a bit and see what happens.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Inspired by Linfords thread.
Now there's a sentence I never thought I'd see. I'll have to go and have a look.

As part of a more general anniversary series of challenges, ours is recorded in my signature. 2000 miles on the tandem across the year from April to April (we were married in April, 20 years ago, hence the choice of month and figure) including at least 100 miles per month (so that it doesn't all get stored up for April 2014).

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm not really a quick person. I thought about a 10,000 mile year but it's difficult to get motivated for that. In fact it's difficult for me to get motivated full stop. I come up with a stupid idea (LEL for example), tell many, many people that I'm going to do it so I feel I have to and then I get stubborn and do it.

I'll just ride for a bit and see what happens.
Ok, here's one for you ...

Create a new cyclist every month, and I don't mean by getting random female cyclists pregnant!

Get somebody out on a bike who has never ridden, or who gave up cycling years ago. Ride with them enough to get them hooked, then start looking for your next convert.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Ok, here's one for you ...

Create a new cyclist every month, and I don't mean by getting random female cyclists pregnant!

Get somebody out on a bike who has never ridden, or who gave up cycling years ago. Ride with them enough to get them hooked, then start looking for your next convert.
Now that's an idea although one a month may be pushing it. I do try to get new cyclists on to commuting and also the FNRttCs. Currently working on one at work (now commutes a few days a week)

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
That's only 1km per day...
(yes, I know what you meant)

Get on a train to somewhere flat - it's more enjoyable if you're not struggling with both distance and terrain.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I want to come out of the forthcoming winter having cycled at least one day of each weekend i am not working. I am not bothered about times or distances i just want to ensure i don't get sucked into another winter with very little time in the saddle again.
That was always the mistake I made, being a bit of a fairweather cyclist. When we had the bad summers from 2007 to 2012, I wasn't riding much in the summer months either, but I ate as if I was! That is how I put on 4 stone, lost my fitness, and it probably was one of the factors in my near-fatal illness as well.

I have only done one hard winter of cycling between 2 good summers, and by the second summer, I was at my fittest ever!

Linford

Some slopes, but I'm avoiding Cleeve Hill, The route takes in some very nice parts of the Cotswolds, so a bonus in there....what have I done :eek::biggrin:

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
That was always the mistake I made, being a bit of a fairweather cyclist. When we had the bad summers from 2007 to 2012, I wasn't riding much in the summer months either, but I ate as if I was! That is how I put on 4 stone, lost my fitness, and it probably was one of the factors in my near-fatal illness as well.

I have only done one hard winter of cycling between 2 good summers, and by the second summer, I was at my fittest ever!

As much as i would love to set the 100 mile or more challenge i am being realistic.I will save that for the summer months. This winter was horrid for all, and went on forever. I'm determined not to go down that road again and let it overtake me. Getting out even for an hour makes you feel so much better.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Mine were to complete le jog and ride over a hundred miles in a day, which I have done. Also to find better local loops which.I have done. Another was to ride over ditching beacon as I'd heard so much doom mongering about it, but in the event it was relatively easy, compared to some climbs I've done. Another was to ride.some of the climbs out in TRNC particularly kantara, which I've done several times now.

However the main aim of finding a seriously hot fit single straight available sane female ride partner seems to have illuded me lol!

geekinaseat

My ongoing challenge is to always cycle more miles than the previous month, I keep track with endomondo and to be fair it's actually been pretty easy so far as I have been getting fitter and faster since I starting cycling.... but I can see it getting harder as the nights draw in!

It also makes me stick to a target, last month I travelled a lot for work so I didn't get many commuting miles in, cue a 26 miler on Saturday the 31st to nudge me above last month

last month's me is such a loser :smile:

I've signed up to Ride London next year so the metric and imperial centuries are the next milestones :smile:

OP
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
My ongoing challenge is to always cycle more miles than the previous month, I keep track with endomondo and to be fair it's actually been pretty easy so far as I have been getting fitter and faster since I starting cycling.... but I can see it getting harder as the nights draw in!

It also makes me stick to a target, last month I travelled a lot for work so I didn't get many commuting miles in, cue a 26 miler on Saturday the 31st to nudge me above last month

last month's me is such a loser :smile:

I've signed up to Ride London next year so the metric and imperial centuries are the next milestones :smile:
Good luck....it's a good feeling when you bag them.

Top Bottom