Personal trainer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ScotiaLass

Guru
Has anyone here ever used a personal trainer?
I'm seriously thinking of doing so, as I need motivated and I hate the gym! I joined up for a year several years ago and and went twice!

I need advice on diet too and knowing I'm paying someone may keep me on the right track.

Any other suggestions? I don't do WW etc - hate the group situations.
I tried a local one a few years back and no-one spoke to me. I lasted 4 weeks and never went back.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Has anyone here ever used a personal trainer?
I'm seriously thinking of doing so, as I need motivated and I hate the gym! I joined up for a year several years ago and and went twice!

I need advice on diet too and knowing I'm paying someone may keep me on the right track.

Any other suggestions? I don't do WW etc - hate the group situations.
I tried a local one a few years back and no-one spoke to me. I lasted 4 weeks and never went back.

Buy lots of mirrors? Wouldn't work for me, I don't actually look at them.

screenman

Legendary Member
What have got to lose apart from a bit of weight and a few quid.

I know on a coached session I always work harder than I do on my own.

Myself and Mrs vH joined a gym last September, instigated by medical necessities, and part of the package was that we had a "free" session with a personal trainer.
Having given a list of exercises, I was quite happy to continue on my own, but the ayatollah felt that she needed one-to-one and signed up for a series of sessions. She has enjoyed these and is talking of another batch. I notice that at the gym we use it is mostly females that work with a PT.
If it means that you will keep attending and end up with some benefit, why not?
Reading your posts, I would not think that you would suffer from lack of motivation!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

OP
OP
ScotiaLass

ScotiaLass

Guru
Myself and Mrs vH joined a gym last September, instigated by medical necessities, and part of the package was that we had a "free" session with a personal trainer.
Having given a list of exercises, I was quite happy to continue on my own, but the ayatollah felt that she needed one-to-one and signed up for a series of sessions. She has enjoyed these and is talking of another batch. I notice that at the gym we use it is mostly females that work with a PT.
If it means that you will keep attending and end up with some benefit, why not?
Reading your posts, I would not think that you would suffer from lack of motivation!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I suffer with depression and I know I comfort eat :sad:
It's where I am right now and I need to break it. I haven't used a PT before but been thinking it may be what I need.
The cycling is fine, but on it's own, not enough to stop me gaining weight when I'm like this. I have put on so much weight it's ridiculous.

I suffer with depression and I know I comfort eat :sad:
It's where I am right now and I need to break it. I haven't used a PT before but been thinking it may be what I need.
The cycling is fine, but on it's own, not enough to stop me gaining weight when I'm like this. I have put on so much weight it's ridiculous.
Give it a whizz!!

stephec

Legendary Member
The gym that I go to has about five of them as part of the regular staff.

They vary from the loud, 'look at me everybody,' type of Mr Motivator, to the normal friendly kind of guy.

It might be worth trying a few different ones to see what works best.

OP
OP
ScotiaLass

ScotiaLass

Guru
The gym that I go to has about five of them as part of the regular staff.

They vary from the loud, 'look at me everybody,' type of Mr Motivator, to the normal friendly kind of guy.

It might be worth trying a few different ones to see what works best.
I've got my eye on one that looks good and has good reviews (as well as a friend who has a personal recommendation).
At the moment I'm struggling to do much :sad: (except eat)

The gym I go to has Pt's working there and they are happy to give advice and exercise plans to anyone. You can also book them out for private sessions, though I can't justify spending that amount of money on top of gym membership. I do the classes that they run and I find doing that really motivates me and if I book in them i feel like I can't cancel. Classes may be good for you, it'll get you out meeting new people and exercise always makes you feel better. Plus, once you start going and see the weight start to come off you'll be less inclined to comfort eat.

Last edited:

stephec

Legendary Member
A friend's recommendation's not a bad idea.

Not wanting to denigrate all PTs, but I have seen qualifications offered via a two week course, you want one wh's able to tailor advice to your specific lifestyle and diet, not just show you how to exercise.

Ganymede

Veteran
Hi @ScotiaLass, I also hate the gym and I found using a personal trainer helpful. I had a nice young Portuguese lad called Bruno, who was also training to be an osteopath and so was very knowledgeable about the body. I didn't go for long as I can't stand the music, also I went away to work so was not around (the gym was close to my then office). But I really noticed a difference in my strength and tone even in a short time. What felt motivating was it was like going to play instead of going to work - I was off to pull ropes and throw balls and balance on wobbly boards and mess about with machinery in company with a very focussed and nice bloke and it made it fun. I would say give it a go!

It did teach me that I can't do it again - if I had a trainer it would have to be in a private setting as I have such low tolerance for the noise in a gym and would rather be outdoors. But it was motivating and I made progress. Good luck!

Top Bottom