Personal trainer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ScotiaLass

ScotiaLass

Guru
Hi @ScotiaLass, I also hate the gym and I found using a personal trainer helpful. I had a nice young Portuguese lad called Bruno, who was also training to be an osteopath and so was very knowledgeable about the body. I didn't go for long as I can't stand the music, also I went away to work so was not around (the gym was close to my then office). But I really noticed a difference in my strength and tone even in a short time. What felt motivating was it was like going to play instead of going to work - I was off to pull ropes and throw balls and balance on wobbly boards and mess about with machinery in company with a very focussed and nice bloke and it made it fun. I would say give it a go!

It did teach me that I can't do it again - if I had a trainer it would have to be in a private setting as I have such low tolerance for the noise in a gym and would rather be outdoors. But it was motivating and I made progress. Good luck!
The chap I have in mind is well qualified with quite a few years experience and will come to you, or a place of your choice. I'd rather be outside too!

Ganymede

Veteran
The chap I have in mind is well qualified with quite a few years experience and will come to you, or a place of your choice. I'd rather be outside too!
I really, really believe in exercising outdoors, but I would definitely say the training indoors has value!

Mind you I also generally don't exercise unless it achieves something else, eg learning a skill, getting somewhere, garden produce or self-expression! (eg skiing, bike/walk/ski, gardening and dancing!).

OP
OP
ScotiaLass

ScotiaLass

Guru
I really, really believe in exercising outdoors, but I would definitely say the training indoors has value!

Mind you I also generally don't exercise unless it achieves something else, eg learning a skill, getting somewhere, garden produce or self-expression! (eg skiing, bike/walk/ski, gardening and dancing!).
Well I want to tone up and lose weight so I suppose that achieves something!
I know what you mean though :smile:

Ganymede

Veteran
Well I want to tone up and lose weight so I suppose that achieves something!
I know what you mean though :smile:
You would definitely tone up using a trainer, and I found that it helped me exercise more effectively and enjoyably because of having the additional strength and tone. So I think my only-when-doing-something-else approach is probably working against me! Also the trainer was very encouraging and serious in a nice way, which helped.

OP
OP
ScotiaLass

ScotiaLass

Guru
You would definitely tone up using a trainer, and I found that it helped me exercise more effectively and enjoyably because of having the additional strength and tone. So I think my only-when-doing-something-else approach is probably working against me! Also the trainer was very encouraging and serious in a nice way, which helped.
I know the Tai Chi is helping me tone a bit, but I need more!

OP
OP
ScotiaLass

ScotiaLass

Guru
If I can be serious for a moment, I'd also recommend Steve Peters' book The Chimp Paradox. It's about stopping irrational, impulsive behaviours and understanding why we behave in such a way (as well as identifying the triggers to this behaviour). @Hill Wimp recommended it to me - and I have found it very useful.
I don't know if my brain could cope! I don't do change well due to my AS.
Irrational and impulsive however.....:laugh:

OP
OP
ScotiaLass

ScotiaLass

Guru
It's an interesting and, thankfully, easy read. I don't think he recommends anything too radical but does provide some insight and I find it helps me to avoid situations which get my 'inner chimp' acting up.
I will give it a read over the summer.
I started Tai Chi as I knew it would be a challenge; the physical contact with strangers, the challenge of my balance issues etc.
It has been hard but I love it and the ethos....it's something I am trying to live my life by now

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
I suffer with depression and I know I comfort eat :sad:
It's where I am right now and I need to break it. I haven't used a PT before but been thinking it may be what I need.
The cycling is fine, but on it's own, not enough to stop me gaining weight when I'm like this. I have put on so much weight it's ridiculous.

You sound like my OH, perhaps the mirrors aren't a good idea since you'll just get depressed etc.

Debade

Über Member
My wife was a personal trainer for many years. If it is difficult to be self motivated, organize an interesting exercise program and receive some support and comments about your effort (good and bad), it is a good idea, I think. Trainers are not all the same so you might need to try more than one.

Top Bottom