Personal trainer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Katherine

Guru
Anything, where you pay up front for a course is a great motivater. I can't imagine not keeping up with the Pilates classes, which has only quiet music on in the background. I'm a lot stronger now. Hope you enjoy the training . Best wishes to you.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Daughter uses the Lindon Method and cycling walking etc...why pay..she is trying to right a book also..helps with mind and focusses her, negative thought is the enemy

http://www.thelindenmethod.co.uk/

Herbie

Veteran
Has anyone here ever used a personal trainer?
I'm seriously thinking of doing so, as I need motivated and I hate the gym! I joined up for a year several years ago and and went twice!

I need advice on diet too and knowing I'm paying someone may keep me on the right track.

Any other suggestions? I don't do WW etc - hate the group situations.
I tried a local one a few years back and no-one spoke to me. I lasted 4 weeks and never went back.

Waste o money hen unless you hire a hunky doodle dandy......just get out on two wheels more and scoff less...simples.....hey but what do I know lol

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
[QUOTE 3767772, member: 9609"]How much are you paying for Pilates?
I was doing one on one sessions and they were £50 a pop, she has now let me join a class with others, there are three of us paying £17.50 each, it is 1½hour session..[/QUOTE]
I do a class with anything from 5 to 15 people, for just under an hour and I pay £5. Maybe I get a lot less attention but my motivation would be seriously lacking if I had to pay lots more. It's quite a friendly group, and she alters the exercises to suit differing abilities and medical conditions.

Just last week we were doing a shell stretch, and I asked what bit it was meant to stretch as I never feel anything. She wondered whether cycling meant I was used to that position so has suggested something else for me to do when the rest do that one.

Back to the OP. Try it and discover if it helps you. I've never tried one but I lack motivation at the best of times to exercise. And I love snacking. For me I will snack if I'm not doing things so I need to keep myself busy. You need to find something that will help break the snacking habit, the Personal trainer might do that, if you felt you didn't want to let them down? Or by suggesting alternative things to snack on.

Give it a try and report back!

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I hear you about the depression and comfort eating. Sometimes, in those situations, extra help is required and there's nothing wrong with that. Give it a whirl but give it a month or so before you make your mind up. If it works, great. If not, well at least you will have answered the question. And good luck!

OP
OP
ScotiaLass

ScotiaLass

Guru
Read it and find out?

PT sounds like a positive two fingers up against the Big D, some sort of self esteem therapy sounds like it's in order too. Photography projects maybe..?
I love my photography but haven't used my big kit in quite some time now.
I'm finding it hard to push myself into doing anything right now.

Cyclist33

I love my photography but haven't used my big kit in quite some time now.
I'm finding it hard to push myself into doing anything right now.

And that is what contributes to the challenge too, learning about enjoying your self as you come I suppose!

How about a photo documentary of your upcoming PT experience? There was a good expo at my local museum recently where a local photographer had used light and subject matter to explore their relationship with their own depression. Excellent bit of therapy,

Katherine

Guru
[QUOTE 3767772, member: 9609"]How much are you paying for Pilates?
I was doing one on one sessions and they were £50 a pop, she has now let me join a class with others, there are three of us paying £17.50 each, it is 1½hour session..[/QUOTE]

We pay £45 for 8 weeks. There are 12 of us in the class. She has got to know us really well, each persons weaknesses and strengths, she always asks at the start if anyone has any injuries or issues and works around them. We have almost become a support group for each other, we had a meal out at Christmas when the venue was closed.

Sandra6

Veteran
When I first joined a gym I had a few free session with the personal trainers, I paid for a personalised work out from one which got me off to a good start but when my motivation was dwindling I signed up for a 3 month plan with another. Best thing I ever did.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Back to the serious replies - I've been using a PT for about 5 years, and have found it's the only thing that keeps me exercising regularly. It is also much better than just cycling for all-over strength, toning and fitness. After a horrendous year at work during which I've struggled to keep up to a session a week I'm about to start working with three separate trainers in three separate places (home and work x 2).

Personal rapport is absolutely key, as is being able to recognise when the relationship is no longer working. In retrospect I stayed with my first trainer for about 18 months too long. He was great at the start, but there came a time when he got frustrated with my (lack of) progress and started get a bit arsey - so I stopped being motivated enough.

A word of warning if you have a relationship - the link with a personal trainer is necessarily emotional and up-close and physical, and PTs are usually almost perfect physical specimens. Unless you're an elderly lech like Reg you might want to use a PT who is not your preferred sex for a physical relationship.

Top Bottom