Personalised plates ha ha ha.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I find modern plates difficult to remember too! I know the reasoning behind them but still it's difficult.

I used to run a company car fleet up to about Y registered! I could always remember the numbers. It's a good job I didn't have to do it after that time!

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
I bought my car 6 years ago, when my daughter got her's last year the number was 2 out from mine. I am trying to find the middle number for my wife. They won't be "personalised", but a set will still look impressive. ;)

Nothing wrong with them, I suppose, a bit of harmless vanity - unless they're used deliberately to deceive or to evade the law. And I include, in that, disguising plates to make them difficult to read or likely to be mis-read, by a human observer as well as by an ANPR camera or other technology. Many offenders are brought to book because a human witness was alert enough to read a number plate (indeed I have managed to shop someone in that way myself). So away with all the mis-spacing and odd fonts please!

skrx said:
London is 'L', which unsurprisingly is what I see most often. (I only noticed this link when I went to Scotland, and most of the cars were 'S').
That's as maybe, but someone explain please how SE England (Surrey, Sussex, Kent) came to be 'G'? The best they could come up with was that it represented 'Garden of England' but that properly only refers to Kent.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
661-Pete said:
That's as maybe, but someone explain please how SE England (Surrey, Sussex, Kent) came to be 'G'? The best they could come up with was that it represented 'Garden of England' but that properly only refers to Kent.

This list posted earlier in the thread may help. It's a mnemonic, not a literal description.

srw said:
This list posted earlier in the thread may help. It's a mnemonic, not a literal description.
I missed that, but it was a rhetorical question anyway. I note from the list that:
There is no official name ascribed to the letter K by the DVLA.
At least they're honest. Also it appears that the initial letters 'I', 'J', 'Q', 'T', 'U', 'X' and 'Z' have not yet been allocated. Well, I can understand about 'I' due to confusion with '1'; I have seen cars driving around with new-style numbers beginning with 'J' or 'U' - perhaps these are a new species of vanity plate which you can buy direct from DVLA?

I sometimes wonder what'll happen in the year 2050, when they run out of available codes under the present system. But I won't be around to see it. :biggrin:

Top Bottom