Pet strollers/dog buggies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Even if the tablets work i'm still going to buy a stroller..i think. He gets too wet,especially in winter and there's the ice,snow and salt on his paws to thinks of.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Even if the tablets work i'm still going to buy a stroller..i think. He gets too wet,especially in winter and there's the ice,snow and salt on his paws to thinks of.

Can't you just get him a second hand kids one, there's bound to be something locally for a very few pounds if any.

Some folks round our way, take their elderly pooches (and themselves) out for an airing like this.

Can't see the need for buying new, when it's just for a dog to sit in, why not repurpose something that already exists??

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
We met a family with a Dalmation that had real problems with its legs, probably from some kind of spinal injury. They had kitted out a secondhand baby buggy with her favourite blanket and took her for walks along the footpaths of south Cornwall.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Can't you just get him a second hand kids one, there's bound to be something locally for a very few pounds if any.

Some folks round our way, take their elderly pooches (and themselves) out for an airing like this.

Can't see the need for buying new, when it's just for a dog to sit in, why not repurpose something that already exists??
I've thought about a child one instead of a doggie one,but pushing him around in a scruffy kids one from a charity shop could seriously ruin our 'street cred'!;) The one in the video i supplied looks quite sporty,so when i'm hopefully back up and mobile i'll be able to use it as part of my/our exercise program. That's why i want a large wheeled one with a more stable central wheel,suspension etc,rather than a two front wheels flimsy one.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
All dogs and cats for that matter should be chipped and neutered. Unneutered dogs can end up targeted by thieves for use on puppy farms. Dog theft is absolutely rife and these people want to either hold the dog to ransom or use for breeding end of story. The cost of puppies has risen dramatically and bitches are forced to have 4 litters per year etc.
With your dog, I'd make him walk and get him a coat, I don't think its doing him any favours in a buggy. 9 is no age, can you take him to the vets for a check up he might need some tablets or something?

Nibor

Bewildered
Glucosamine works wonders on dogs I put my elderly mut on a food containing it and the transformation was amazing overnight

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Glucosamine works wonders on dogs I put my elderly mut on a food containing it and the transformation was amazing overnight

I wonder it that'd work for me,regarding my hip and shoulder?🤔

Though i have taken an Ibuprofen tablet this morn' and it has helped a lot.

1608555965311.png

Nibor

Bewildered
gluicosamine works well for humans joint pain too however take care if you have any seafood allergies

vickster

Legendary Member
you do need to make sure you take the correct therapeutic dose, add in chondroitin and MSM but there are no guarantees.
Include Vitamin D and Omega 3 too

We bought a dog trailer a few years even though both our dogs are fit and active. We use it every day to get the dogs to/from where we walk them but we've also seen many people using them that have older or less mobile dogs. Maybe an option ?

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I've finally found one i like and think he'll like,so i've bought it. According to fleabay it's half price on there.

1610113135783.png

Was:
Was:£187.99

You save:
£94.00 (50% OFF*)

Now:
£93.99
Buy it now

https://www.aosom.co.uk/item/pawhut...EBXg5SGoth5pe_QwrJJgH0ZtXTztX9EhoCrQAQAvD_BwE
I paid a bit more for 'express delivery',so it'll be here tomorrow...or so it said in the advert.
Yesterday was horrible for him! Not just his limping,but all that salt/grit on the ground must be very uncomfy to walk on. Yes,i could've bought a cheaper one,but you get what you pay for as they say. I think it'll help my walking as well,as i can hopefully use it for my stability,rather than using a walking stick all the time.

Last edited:
I could not reply to this thread earlier as I have been waiting to see if there are beneficial effects from a new (to me) treatment for DJD.
In my case its a cat, a tough as old boots cat with chronic kidney disease and probably the start of a liver cancer and to top it off arthritis of the hip joints.
I can only give him 35% normal by weight dose of Metacam and only every 60/72 hours to avoid excessive kidney load. I have given him a Glucosamine/Chondroitin supplement for two years but that product does not improve mobility through anti inflammatory effect, it is merely supposed to protect against further degradation. I tried Opioids but with cats you mostly get a cat that sleeps even longer than is normal and that's not quality of life.
Last November my vet suggested we try a medicine developed for dogs, ARA 3000 Beta developed by a French company. He calculated the by weight dose and every 5 weeks has had an intra muscular injection. After that it will be every 3 months if he lasts out, the product is not contra indicated for kidney patients.
It is highly subjective observing cat behaviour as they hide any signs of weakness for as long as they are able. So after 3 1/2 months I will say I believe there has been improvement based on his behaviour.
Firstly his back legs will never regain the lost muscle due to many factors, secondly at this stage of his DJD it would be a miracle to see him leaping about. He is 17 years old and decreased PCV due to his failing kidneys means he has less energy, some people treat their pets with EPO to counter this but its very expensive.
So with those factors in mind I have observed him closely. Like anyone with creaking limbs if he gets up quickly and moves without stretching I see one leg or the other initially give way slightly. After a stretch he can walk about freely enough.
In November he did not venture out into the courtyard other than to pee and poo and do a fairly limited patrol. Now he makes extensive patrols and territory marking and even through the coldest weather has shown an interest in exploring.
You have to avoid wishful thinking with your pets regarding treatments for DJD but I believe I have witnessed improvements in mobility and less tendency to have poor days.
Cats quickly lose their appetite when suffering chronic pain and I knew on the days before his next dose of Metacam that the effects were tailing off just by his demeanour and appetite or lack of.
The observation of appetite has to be tempered by his other condition of CKD so again my observations are subjective. It goes without saying not to trust what you read about complex subjects on a public forum but if your beast has joint disease ask your vets opinion on the choices and mention this product.
Vets mostly turn to NSAID or in severe cases Opioids but neither address the cause of the inflammation.
Cost me €16 per shot so not cheap to start but later every 3 months cheap enough. I have no connection myself or by friend or family with Lexmoor the company making this product.

Two years ago a neighbour had a beautiful dog euthanised due to very poor mobility, her grandson suggested trying a buggy but she was having none of it. A terrible shame as the dog enjoyed its interactions with the other pets at her house and with humans, only the dicky legs let her down.

A woman who owns a dog accessories shop recommended YUMOVE to me today. When i mentioned it to other dog owners they said it's just a 'holistic' thing and not proven to work. Any of you heard of it or tried it on your pet?
Its a Glucosamine based product Accy. There are a lot of published papers that suggest it can limit the ongoing degradation but that is all.

Top Bottom