Petition for law change - Ebike Assist Limit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
and yet again my answer is the same.....it still requires lots of effort to keep the bike going at upto or over 15.6mph

You are still completely ignoring the word comparatively.

Your physical ability might limit your craziness, but a lot of people can maintain speeds well above 15.5 mph (25 Kph) and some do even on cycle paths, as you have observed most ebikes are not a problem, are all the high speed commuters ebikes ? I suspect not, over here in UK a lot of commuter will exceed 15mph on parts of their journey and sometimes its safer to do so, although I think 20 mph is reasonable for an ebike, I realise some people will ride them inappropriately but some people also ride normal bikes inappropriately.

20 mph is reasonable for an E-bike - but it is not reasonable for a normal bike.

That there is the problem.

To win this argument you need to convince people why someone on an E-bike can get assistance up to a speed beyond what your average cyclist rides at. With all respect, I don't believe that is winnable.

This is Holland - lots of people commute to work. Most do not use E-bikes. But, there is a new kid on the block - the commuter with a powerful E-bike. And they are out of kilter with the other traffic on the cycle paths.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
20 mph is reasonable for an E-bike - but it is not reasonable for a normal bike.

That there is the problem.

To win this argument you need to convince people why someone on an E-bike can get assistance up to a speed beyond what your average cyclist rides at. With all respect, I don't believe that is winnable.

This is Holland - lots of people commute to work. Most do not use E-bikes. But, there is a new kid on the block - the commuter with a powerful E-bike. And they are out of kilter with the other traffic on the cycle paths.
"Not reasonable for a normal bike" Seriously? Have you never ridden at or above 20mph?

CXRAndy

Guru
Ive got nothing against the sentiment of the petition. It just needs to be rewritten to be more coherent to deliver a reasonable argument.

As I've said Im planning to ebike convert and will my own judgement on the limit of assist

"Not reasonable for a normal bike" Seriously? Have you never ridden at or above 20mph?

Yes. I'm serious.

But..... I live in the Netherlands. Most of my cycling here is done on dedicated bike paths or quiet roads with marked cycling lanes. 20 mph is the exception. I'd suggest the average speed of most cyclists here is 10 mph or less.

Most of the "wielrenners", ie roadies, will avoid the most popular cycle paths, simply because the traffic levels will slow them down.

In any case, I'd think most cyclists would struggle to ride a reasonable distance at an average of 20 mph.

This is a cycling forum - most people are cyclists. A lot of people on bikes do not see themselves as cyclists.

There is a difference.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Sounds like the e bike thread is running out of control at 20 mph, maybe slow it down to a speed the OP can control.
As per the mod note.....lets keep it civil

youngoldbloke

There seems to be a lot of confusion regarding maximum and average speed.
Yes. I'm serious.

But..... I live in the Netherlands. Most of my cycling here is done on dedicated bike paths or quiet roads with marked cycling lanes. 20 mph is the exception. I'd suggest the average speed of most cyclists here is 10 mph or less.

Most of the "wielrenners", ie roadies, will avoid the most popular cycle paths, simply because the traffic levels will slow them down.

In any case, I'd think most cyclists would struggle to ride a reasonable distance at an average of 20 mph.

This is a cycling forum - most people are cyclists. A lot of people on bikes do not see themselves as cyclists.

There is a difference.

We aren't discussing an AVERAGE of 20mph, but a maximum assisted speed, after which the motor cuts out. There seems to be some confusion about this.
As for the "wielrenners" the situation is exactly the same here in the UK - I wouldn't use a shared path if I could avoid it.

youngoldbloke

Im converting my wife's bike to an ebike. It will be customised for variable speed cutout. I ride around 17-18 mph solo so I will set her bike for 19 mph to cut assist, so we can ride together.
- and it will of course be illegal.

Top Bottom