Petition for law change - Ebike Assist Limit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
ebike cycle speed limits should be reduced, according to Toronto.

A study conducted by the University of Toronto's Transportation Research Institute (TRI) concluded bicycling in the city hit 80 km/h, or nearly the speed of a car, at rush hour.

The report cites that it's safe, however, to use an ebike for two straight kilometres.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
and so do heavier riders...so your argument is mute in this case
I think you mean moot.

I disagree. The weight of the bike can be legislated for, the weight of the rider cannot (well, I suppose it could be, in theory, but I can't see that ever happening).

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
they cannot chug along at 15.6mph with little to no input and they couldnt do it for hours n end either, as battery size is the limit here........unless they are the old style throttle ebikes, not the new ebikes governed by the speed limit and pedal assist

i better education of ebikes is required for you me thinks

they cannot chug along at 15.6mph with little to no input from the pedal. At this point they become extremely twitchy, and unable to control their speed and therefore, the result is a very high rate of braking , especially by inexperienced ebikers!

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
they cannot chug along at 15.6mph with little to no input from the pedal. At this point they become extremely twitchy, and unable to control their speed and therefore, the result is a very high rate of braking , especially by inexperienced ebikers!
????

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
they do not become titchy at all, the same as no other bike becomes twitchy at above that speed.....dear me, we are pulling out some rather strange arguments with this one

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
they cannot chug along at 15.6mph with little to no input and they couldnt do it for hours n end either, as battery size is the limit here........unless they are the old style throttle ebikes, not the new ebikes governed by the speed limit and pedal assist

i better education of ebikes is required for you me thinks

Poor effort there at misrepresenting what I wrote, which was actually "comparatively little input (depending on settings)".

OP
OP
J

jowwy

In order to protect the vulnerable.
what??? are you serious

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
a less confrontational style would still bring about the anti ebiker community with their non arguments
Mod Note:
Everybody has been civil to you in this thread.
Please return the favour or you could find yourself excluded from your own thread.
Thanks.

dedicated cycle paths or mixed use paths???
Both.
Just as normal bikes its not compulsory to ride them to their limit on cycle paths or anywhere else, ebikes and normal bikes should be ridden at speeds that are appropriate to the conditions, 20mph sounds reasonable to me, there are crazy riders on normal bikes and there will be crazy riders on ebikes.
Agree.
Ime the fit, 20mph rider rarely uses the urban cycle paths, I can live with the few that do.
I would prefer Ebikes to stay restricted at the speed they are now, for the same reasons @glasgowcyclist states:
And I think this is where some of the other posters have concerns on shared use paths; e-bikes can chug along with little comparatively little input (depending on settings) at their top speed for hours. A self-propelled average Jo Bloggs can't do that so the tendency is for the pace of these routes to be fairly slow and therefore predictable and safe. A 20mph e-bike would turn that on its head.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Poor effort there at misrepresenting what I wrote, which was actually "comparatively little input (depending on settings)".
and yet again my answer is the same.....it still requires lots of effort to keep the bike going at upto or over 15.6mph

Venod

Eh up
But..... my craziness is limited by my physical ability on my regular bike. That's not the case on an E-bike.

I live in Holland - Ebikes everywhere. Most are not a problem - they tootle along at a regular speed. The problems are with the high speed commuters. They deserve to be regulated.

Your physical ability might limit your craziness, but a lot of people can maintain speeds well above 15.5 mph (25 Kph) and some do even on cycle paths, as you have observed most ebikes are not a problem, are all the high speed commuters ebikes ? I suspect not, over here in UK a lot of commuters will exceed 15mph on parts of their journey and sometimes its safer to do so, although I think 20 mph is reasonable for an ebike, I realise some people will ride them inappropriately but some people also ride normal bikes inappropriately.

Last edited:
it feels more sluggish and harder to maintain speed after the cut off point.......but when you can ride an ordinary bike at way above 15.5mph and car engines are not limited to speed or torque and motor bikes are not limited to speed or torque, then why should ebikes

Correct, but to ride one you have to pass a test, have to wear a helmet to an approved & recognised standard, have to have insurance, carry registration plates, have an annual test, pay VED, only use recognised highways, are you prepared to do all that with your e-Bike

I would be interested to see your answer to phaetons question

Top Bottom