Petition for law change - Ebike Assist Limit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
How many fully loaded tour bikes hit 20mph on a flat shared used path?
ive seen quite a few were i live in south wales, both on the flat and downhill....but lets just complain about the ebike

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Who else feels inadequate with a 15.6mph speed. I don't....

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Maybe..... but you've lost me..... and I have no problem with E-bikes. :smile:

I do have a problem with a**h*les on bikes though - electric or not.
i have a problem with them in life...but that aint gonna change lol

Nibor

Bewildered
it feels more sluggish and harder to maintain speed after the cut off point.......but when you can ride an ordinary bike at way above 15.5mph and car engines are not limited to speed or torque and motor bikes are not limited to speed or torque, then why should ebikes
Because cars and motorbikes have to be insured and MOT tested.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Who else feels inadequate with a 15.6mph speed. I don't....
Irrelevant. As is the paths argument. The Highway Code advises using the road if you are riding 18mph+
I'll edit that before anyone corrects me - it was proposed in a code of conduct.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jowwy

Maybe ebikes should cut out at 11mph to keep up with London traffic?
maybe cars and motorbikes should have speed restrictions applied to them too in that case, as they case most of the fatalities

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
If it was a petition to reduce speed limits to a default of 20 mph on all roads within built up areas. Now I could sign that.
There is such a petition in Scotland.
Sadly motor lobby's opposition is strong.
The 20mph zones that already in place are not patrolled by police, the speed limit is mostly ignored ime.
some ebikes weigh less than fully loaded touring bikes........so again your argument is mute in this case
The moment I see a fully loaded bike tourer riding at 20mph along the Clyde cycle path, or indeed on any of the paths I travel daily, or indeed on any tour I might take in the future, I will eat the helmet I don't wear :laugh:

dedicated cycle paths or mixed use paths???

Both.

I think the idea is simply that if someone wants to use an Ebike they're more than welcome to - so long as they are in line, speed-wise, with the other bike traffic.
Once they start to go faster, especially significantly faster, than the majority of the bike traffic, then they should not be able to share the same space.

It's relatively easy to enforce. Does your motor cut out at 15 mph? Then you can cycle anywhere a regular bike can.
Does your motor run above 15 mph? Sorry, you have to stay on the road.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Both.

I think the idea is simply that if someone wants to use an Ebike they're more than welcome to - so long as they are in line, speed-wise, with the other bike traffic.
Once they start to go faster, especially significantly faster, than the majority of the bike traffic, then they should not be able to share the same space.

It's relatively easy to enforce. Does your motor cut out at 15 mph? Then you can cycle anywhere a regular bike can.
Does your motor run above 15 mph? Sorry, you have to stay on the road.
but regular bikes ride above 15mph and they can use shared paths with no restrictions, just cause the cut off speed is 20mph it doesnt mean you have to travek at 20mph....you restrict your own speed relative to the situation, the same as ordinary bike riders do.........so another non argument

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Good idea, what shall we call these restrictions "speed limits"?
the cars are not limited to those speeds........and its upto the police to enforce them and not the manufacturers, so yet another non arguement

Top Bottom