Petition for law change - Ebike Assist Limit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
Don't sign this petition!
I don't want to share cycle cycle tracks with powered machines capable of 20 mph!
If people want to ride powered two wheelers capable of 20mph then they must be restricted to onroad.
It is my understanding that local government in NL has been given the power to ban powered two wheelers on cycle paths since April 2019 in an effort to reduce the number of crashes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I don't want to share cycle cycle tracks with powered machines capable of 20 mph!
If people want to ride powered two wheelers capable of 20mph then they must be restricted to onroad.
you still have to pedal them upto that speed, not so easy on mtb tyres and wheel, especially uphill

but each to their own

D

Deleted member 26715

so 15mph more than an ebike and 10mph more than the petition and on a moped you dont need to pedal, just turn a throttle
Correct, but to ride one you have to pass a test, have to wear a helmet to an approved & recognised standard, have to have insurance, carry registration plates, have an annual test, pay VED, only use recognised highways, are you prepared to do all that with your e-Bike?

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I've signed. Our club leisure rides are often over 15mph on flat or gently rising sections and it is hard and painful for me to put in the considerable extra effort to propel my e-road Orbea Gain above the cut off for more than a short period. Result - I tend to be drop behind the group. They are a good bunch and they will wait, but I don't think they should feel they have to . Of course if you legs are OK it's perfectly possible to ride above 15.5mph cut off - there is NO limit to speed under muscle power alone - so Snorri might be sharing his cycle track with speeding ebikes anyway

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Correct, but to ride one you have to pass a test, have to wear a helmet to an approved & recognised standard, have to have insurance, carry registration plates, have an annual test, pay VED, only use recognised highways, are you prepared to do all that with your e-Bike?
i doubt that would need to happen upto 20mph......as stated, its already 20mph in the US

especially as pedal powered bikes can already exceed that limit without the necessary helmet, VED, testing etc etc etc etc

dodgy

If you want higher assisted speeds, buy a speed pedelec, the law already allows for them. You'll need a registration plate, VED (albeit free) helmet and insurance.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

I've signed. Our club leisure rides are often over 15mph on flat or gently rising sections and it is hard and painful for me to put in the considerable extra effort to propel my e-road Orbea Gain above the cut off for more than a short period. Result - I tend to be drop behind the group. They are a good bunch and they will wait, but I don't think they should feel they have to . Of course if you legs are OK it's perfectly possible to ride above 15.5mph cut off - there is NO limit to speed under muscle power alone - so Snorri might be sharing his cycle track with speeding ebikes anyway
i totally agree.....its not the position of anti ebikes though

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
It is my understanding that local government in NL has been given the power to ban powered two wheelers on cycle paths since April 2019 in an effort to reduce the number of crashes.

Not signed here either, 15.6mph seems adequate to me.

The opening blurb is difficult to fully understand too, it reads as though the author finds it a bother to ride between the 15.6mph cut-off point and 18mph where he, inexplicably, regains control of the bike.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Not signed here either, 15.6mph seems adequate to me.

The opening blurb is difficult to fully understand too, it reads as though the author finds it a bother to ride between the 15.6mph cut-off point and 18mph where he, inexplicably, regains control of the bike.
why does 15.6mph seem adequate??

Gary E

Veteran
I'm not anti-ebikes, I think they're a great idea that allows people to partake in our hobby when they otherwise might not be able to and I can definitely see a day when I'll be looking to buy one. That said, I wonder why the speed needs to be increased? If the speed goes up to 20 mph then I certainly won't be able to keep up (even at my fittest and fastest I could only manage an 18-19 mph average).
I understand that 15 mph won't be enough to keep up with club rides in some instances but how's that any different to someone on a normal bike not being able to keep up in a ride that's beyond their normal ability?
As I said, I'm not anti-ebikes in any way and I remain open minded (and ready to be convinced otherwise) but I really don't see a strong case for increasing beyond a speed that lots of non-assisted riders would already struggle to maintain.

Smudge

Veteran
A 20mph cut off for ebikes would be nice to have on the road, although i'm happy with the current 15 and like the battery range with this set cut off.
But an issue for me would be, that if they raised the motor cut off speed, they could possibly only allow ebikes on the road and not all the other places that ebikes currently have the privilege of using. I dont want to see ebikes differentiated from bicycles on where they can go.
So for that reason, i'm not signing it.

Top Bottom