Petition for law change - Ebike Assist Limit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smudge

Veteran
I think 15.5 mph cut off is a good compromise for ebikes, it isn't painfully slow on the road and you dont have too much motor speed to consistently be reckless on cycle paths, tracks, canal paths.
If it were set at 20 mph, then there will be those that want 25..... and so on and so forth.
Plus with the possibly restrictions that could go with an increase in motor speed, i say better the devil you know.

as stated, its already 20mph in the US

The States are a pretty big place! I think you'll find that there are a lot of state, city, and park rules that vary that 20 mph down as far as zero!

I am not anti Ebike at all, but 15mph is more than fast enough for recreational cycling. For utility cycling at a higher speed they need to be separated from regular bikes.

I'm fairly sure a less confrontational style would have save you a lot of confrontation:okay:

snorri

Legendary Member
but its ok for non-assisted bikes to ride over 15.6mph on shared use paths.......and why does it make it less safe, just because its an ebike??
It is not OK for non assisted bikes to travel in excess of 15mph on shared paths, but it happens infrequently and so is tolerated in law.
The extra weight of an ebike will tend to cause more harm and damage to who or what it collides with.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Didn't I already answer?
No, imo, it's not OK on segregated/shared cycling facilities.
Road users on two wheels need to be fast to keep up with cars.
Shared paths users need to be slower for mine and the park's squirrels safety.
but this is for all riders, not just shared path users

OP
OP
J

jowwy

It is not OK for non assisted bikes to travel in excess of 15mph on shared paths, but it happens infrequently and so is tolerated in law.
The extra weight of an ebike will tend to cause more harm and damage to who or what it collides with.
some ebikes weigh less than fully loaded touring bikes........so again your argument is mute in this case

OP
OP
J

jowwy

I think the point most are trying to make is that if e-bikes want to increase the limit to 20 mph then they need to stay on the road - an effective banning from dedicated cycling paths and MUPs.
dedicated cycle paths or mixed use paths???

Top Bottom