Petition to the Women's Institute

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
I have not discussed you anywhere. .

Errr sorry Norm you did...

"

Andy84 said:
As you keep sidestepping my actual question, I'll assume that you've realised the error in your thinking, and are just too proud to admit it.​
I'll do the same, as he's completely failed to address many of the points or answer any of the questions,."​
Odd that he can read that, take offence at it, then find time to ask you not to do it again, yet not to find the time answer any of the questions. Some might find that rude?​

Firstly your message has not displayed properly for me viz the bit I have seen until I have pressed the reply button finishes at .....requiring admission to a GDH. As you can see the URL you provided is not shown. (edit: OK so it does not display on my iPad but does on a PC)

I suggest you contact your local Apple store, I am also using an IPad without any of these issues!

In the event I had located the article anyway. Five hospitals in GLASGOW that city so renowned for sobriety!!

Or Newcastle, Edinburgh, Manchester, Exeter Portsmouth, Southampton or any other major city or town... entirely a red herring. Alcohol consumption is nor limited to Glasgow. Note the first line of the quotation. The findings are validated (and validate) similar findings in other studies. Nice try, but simply doesn't wash

More importantly you 'forgot' to mention it excludes under 14 year olds.

TWISTED!!!!

You really are desperate with that one!

I "forgot" nothing - in fact if you read the post I accented the word ALL in the first line... i also gave a reference for the paper!

Care to explain why the fourteen year old is important to you?

Both incidents occur across the full age range in the study and as I pointed out the great strength of Thornhiill's work is that it does include all head injuries in these groups.

The intent of the post and paper is absolutely clear ALL head injuries are included and 61% of them were alcohol related - simples. Cyclists were insufficient in numbers to deserve a mention.

As I have said I do see excessive alcohol consumption as a problem. Clearly so does the government who have legislation in place to deal with it, enabling those who are drunk in a public place to be arrested to prevent, inter alia*, them harming themselves. *sorry no italics on this thing!!

Total avoidance as pointed out above. Alcohol impairment and injury occurs well below excessive levels . The question you are avoiding is simple:

A head injury occurs
It costs money to treat

You state that you object to paying for cyclist's head injuries if a helmet is not worn
You are desperately avoiding saying whether you object to paying for head injuries where alcohol is related and no helmet is worn

And finally your thoughts on the highway code if any?

Regards
As for my thoughts on the Highway code.... it is an enabling document in British Law and as such is a guide. If it states that you "must" carry out a particular act and then quotes a law including section then it is a legal requirement to do so.

For instance rule 124

You MUST NOT exceed the maximum speed limits for the road and for your vehicle (see the table above). The presence of street lights generally means that there is a 30 mph (48 km/h) speed limit unless otherwise specified.
[Law RTRA sects 81, 86, 89 & sch 6]

The requirement to do so though is from the established law and not the Highway Code

Other sections use the word "should". These are guidance only and have no standing in law or otherwise. The only contribution is that it can be used to establish whether a road user is acting in a way that could be expected of a reasonable and competent driver.

The speed limit is the absolute maximum and does not mean it is safe to drive at that speed irrespective of conditions. Driving at speeds too fast for the road and traffic conditions is dangerous. You should always reduce your speed when:
  • the road layout or condition presents hazards, such as bends
  • sharing the road with pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders, particularly children, and motorcyclists
  • weather conditions make it safer to do so
  • driving at night as it is more difficult to see other road users

You could not be prosecuted for any of these acts in rule 125 on the authority of the Highway Code

Anything else you wish to know

MartinC

Über Member
Please don't misquote or attribute to me, points points that I haven't made.

Many thanks.

In post #36 you said "I defy anyone to refute the statement: a cycling helmet protects the wearers head". I accepted your invitation and refuted it without any further quote from or attribution to you. So your post above is totally unintelligible.

Titan yer tummy

No meatings b4 dinner!
In post #36 you said "I defy anyone to refute the statement: a cycling helmet protects the wearers head". I accepted your invitation and refuted it without any further quote from or attribution to you. So your post above is totally unintelligible.

In post 40 you misquoted my proposition by adding the word 'realistic'. Hence my response.

Best wishes

Still no answer then?

I think we will just have to accept that for whatever reason TyT is unable to formulate a reasoned answer to my question and will continue to avoid responding:

Alcohol impairment and injury occurs well below excessive levels . The question you are avoiding is simple:

A head injury occurs
It costs money to treat

You state that you object to paying for cyclist's head injuries if a helmet is not worn
You are desperately avoiding saying whether you object to paying for head injuries where alcohol is related and no helmet is worn

You are probably right, we have demonstrated that TyT's argument has no substance and that "agree with me or you are stupid" illustrates clearly the extent of their knowledge.

Titan yer tummy

No meatings b4 dinner!
Fool! Very sad, RIP condolences to his loved ones etc. But he would have been alive but for a helmet!!

And don't get me wrong I am not in any way taking sides against the victim here. I am simply pointing out a fact!!

Titan yer tummy

No meatings b4 dinner!
Fool! Tragedy, RIP condolences to her loved ones etc. But she would have been alive but for a helmet!!

And don't get me wrong I am not in any way taking sides against the victim here. I am simply pointing out a fact!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom