Petrol Prices - time to take action

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
See what you think and pass it on if you agree with it

We are hitting 129.9 a litre in some areas now, soon we will be faced with paying 2.00 a ltr. Philip Hollsworth offered this good idea:

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the 'don't buy petrol on a certain day campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't
continue to hurt ourselves by refusing to buy petrol. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT,whoever
thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work.

Please read it and join in!

Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a litre is CHEAP, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the market place
not sellers. With the price of petrol going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of petrol come down is if we hit someone in the pocket by not
purchasing their Petrol! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. Here's the idea:

For the rest of this year DON'T purchase ANY petrol from the two biggest oil companies (which now are one), ESSO and BP.

If they are not selling any petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact we need to reach literally millions of Esso and BP petrol buyers. It's really simple to do!!

Now, don't wimp out at this point... keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I am sending this note to a lot of people. If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) ... and so on, by the time the
message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers! If those three million get excited and
pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it... ..

THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all You have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all.(and not buy at ESSO/BP) How long would all that take? If each of us sends this email out to ten more people within one day of receipt,
all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8days!!! Acting together we can make a difference . If this makes
sense to you, please pass this message on.

PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE 69p a LITRE RANGE

It's easy to make this happen. Just forward this email, and buy your petrol at Shell, Asda,Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons Jet etc. i.e. boycott BP and Esso

Milo

Guru
Dont care don't drive.
Makes the boy racers at college huffy though which is great Cant wait till the day mummy and daddy stop buying them petrol.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Whatever the anti car lobby might think, increased fuel prices are seriously going to hurt the economy. Apart from personal use fuel is needed to get goods to the shops. It might come as a surprise to peope when they find that the food and goods thay buy every week cannot be delivered by tandem trike. My car use is almost exclusively business related and rising prices are starting to seriously hurt.

Labour are now beginning to realise that this was the No 1 factor in their by-election wipeout last week, with campaigners reporting it as the biggest single doorstep topic. Time for a big rethink on taxation policy.

Bigtallfatbloke

I am involved in a similar thread on an american music board at the moment...they are all up in arms as well and they pay less than half what we do.

hubgearfreak

Über Member
Bigtallfatbloke said:
they are all up in arms as well and they pay less than half what we do.

the tax is insulating us (europeans) from it.
if it's 2/3rds tax, and the base product doubles in cost, it goes up c.20%.

if the tax is zero, then a doubling means a doubling

hubgearfreak

Über Member
Smokin Joe said:
increased fuel prices are seriously going to hurt the economy

the energy intensive industries yes. the energy efficient ones will get by unscathed. the energy intensive industries have a choice of getting more efficient or putting up their prices, and consequently reducing their demand.

it's a free market and if the wasteful industries go under, it's no great loss globally. global warming is a great loss globally and a part abatement of its problems is a good thing.

it was bound to happen, sooner or later, it being a finite resource.

Bigtallfatbloke

why would esso and bp reduce there price if nobody is going to buy it anyway? I mean you might argue that because the smaller companies would get all Esso and BP's business they would increase their prices to milk it.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Whilst I dislike the £ in my pocket going less far, it might not be a bad thing.

We've endured a highly consumptive lifestyle over the last 25 years. Stuff is too cheap (and often nasty), food IMO hads been too cheap for too long (disagree all you like, but it's been spectacular value) and people are used to buying whatever they want almost. Well, the bubble's burst, people will have to make more circumspect decisions about what they really need, where they need to drive, what the alternatives are; walk, bike, scooter/motorbike etc. The same with the distribution of goods, the whole business will need to adapt to a new buying culture and a new cost structure.
My main concern about rise in fuel in particular is that we have some parity with our competitors, particularly in Europe so that British industry is not disadvantaged. Cuts for commercial fuel might be appropriate.
The world needs to change its habits... it might as well start now.

Jaded

we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers! If those three million get excited and
pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it... ..

THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Why stop there?

If those people send it on and it carries on a few more times, we could have THREE HUNDRED BILLION people involved.

They'd listen to that.

Smoking Joe - high prices will only affect the economy by removing the articially low price we have been paying for fuel over the last 40 years or so.

Top Bottom