Petrol Prices - time to take action

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think the high price of fuel is excellent! It means the value of classic cars is currently falling through the floor and I can afford another one:biggrin:

Must finnish the H van first, though and a couple of motorbikes need some work doing on them.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Well, the cost of fuel is making me have to change my job and probably jack in the furniture making and close down my workshop. Not just because I can't afford to buy fuel but because I can't afford to buy stuff and clients can't afford to commission from me. I don't like it but I have to make changes that will hurt the things I enjoy in order to afford the things I can't do without, like day to day living.

I will stop driving when I can do and, if I can find some more investment capital, I will go electric and human power for transport but it is getting difficult to make that investment as it is rapidly becoming a hand to mouth existence.

Currently buying fuel is still a smaller outlay each month, for a vehicle that has already had it's capital investment and depreciation, then it is for new capital investment for something more efficient.

64.7mpg on my commute today on B100 biodiesel. Must do better.

OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
dantheman said:
dont drive.. hope the price goes up so we can have tax reductions elsewhere... (even though this wouldnt happen)

A fine example of a narrow minded and ignorant view of the implications the cost of fuel has on all of us.

Rick

Jaded

RRSODL said:
A fine example of a narrow minded and ignorant view of the implications the cost of fuel has on all of us.

Rick

Not significantly different to the narrow minded and ignorant views of those that don't understand that what fuel users are doing currently is totally unsustainable.

Horace Goes Skiing said:
Don't worry, the price will be coming back down soon enough. Oil is currently in the throes of a speculative bubble and the price has soared beyond a sensible level.

All that money that was once going into property is now going into commodities like oil. This bubble will inevitably burst just like the property bubble, the price of oil will drop and the speculators money will go off to inflate something else...tulips perhaps?
You clearly know your history...
Back to the real world.
Yes, we may be experiencing a bubble, but ultimately we're looking at a product that has a very limited supply and no resupply. Cost will inevitably go up and no amount of whining by the Right will change that. Get used to it, reduce what you use and stop whinging about the cost.
It's that simple.

jonesy

Guru
RRSODL said:

Rick

So can we take it that you are taking steps to use fuel as economically as possible? So you've got a high mpg car? You keep well within the speed limit on motorways? No trips that could be avoided or done by another mode? Because if you do, you would sadly still be in a small minority of those who are whinging about the price of fuel. As I said before, if it is cheap enough to waste, it is cheap enough to tax...

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
mjones said:
So can we take it that you are taking steps to use fuel as economically as possible? So you've got a high mpg car? You keep well within the speed limit on motorways? No trips that could be avoided or done by another mode? Because if you do, you would sadly still be in a small minority of those who are whinging about the price of fuel. As I said before, if it is cheap enough to waste, it is cheap enough to tax...
1/3 of all food is thrown away. Would you like to see that taxed at 60 or 70% too?

Chuffy said:
You clearly know your history...
Back to the real world.
Yes, we may be experiencing a bubble, but ultimately we're looking at a product that has a very limited supply and no resupply. Cost will inevitably go up and no amount of whining by the Right will change that. Get used to it, reduce what you use and stop whinging about the cost.
It's that simple.

I completely agree. The price will definitely rise over the long term, but I think today's oil prices will fall a fair bit before continuing their steady rise into the stratosphere. It's a wobbly line - we just happen to be at the top of a particularly steep wobble.

At least the high price today will force people to reflect on their petrol usage. As you say, they'll have to get used to high costs eventually.

jonesy

Guru
Smokin Joe said:
1/3 of all food is thrown away. Would you like to see that taxed at 60 or 70% too?

No. Food isn't fuel (except in the Government's wasteful biofuels policy...). I would however still consider it hypocritical for someone who wastes 1/3 of the food they buy to complain about its price.

simonali

Guru
I've been using the car less recently and saving on fuel, BUT all the time it's just sat on my drive going nowhere I'm still paying to insure it! That's winding me up as much as the rising fuel!!

OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
mjones said:

Actually, we are doing what we can. My wife is reducing the numbers of trips to school by half and I'm in a car share team with two colleagues so reducing my fuel usage by 2/3. We still use a car to do the weekly shopping, however, for trips to get milk or perhaps a loaf of bread we either walk or cycle to the shops.

Rick

Plebslayer

mjones said:
As long as people continue to buy cars that do less than 30mpg when they could buy one that does 50mpg+, then fuel can't possibly be too expensive. As long as people use their cars when they could use their legs then fuel can't be too expensive. If it is cheap enough to waste then it is cheap enough to tax.

Quite correct.
When I drive the family small hatchback I always stick to the motorway/Dual Carrigeway speed limit not because of any saintly dedication to authority but simply because it saves money, the environment and I simply cannot be bothered constantly checking 'back up the slip roads' in the mirrors.
My licence is too valuable to loose, one observation is that we are, even at 70mph, invariably the slowest vehicle (HGV's Buses excepted) on the roads, everything comes flying past because just about every pleb and his uncle has heavier, bigger, faster, thirster cars than they require.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I drove home tonight from work at whatever speed gave me better then 60mpg. Managed 67.1mpg over 21 miles with strong winds.
Anything for an easy, safe and affordable life.

Top Bottom