Peugeot 103

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rebuild1961

Hello. What direction do the rings on both sides of this bb turn for removal
0207181439.jpg

midlife

Guru
French BB have right hand threads for both cups.....

OP
OP
Rebuild1961

Rebuild1961

Thank you. I need to get a spanner wrench since the one side is pretty tight and try to find a adjustable wrench for the other side.

OP
OP
Rebuild1961

Rebuild1961

Tks for the video. I just ordered the wrench from park tools. My other concern is getting the right c spanner wrench for the drive side lock ring. I see some on eBay and wondering if this a universal size.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Tks for the video. I just ordered the wrench from park tools. My other concern is getting the right c spanner wrench for the drive side lock ring. I see some on eBay and wondering if this a universal size.

The lock rings are normally easy to get off using a big pair of water pump style pliers if worse come to worse , the c spanner is very useful when putting it all back together but again the pliers can do the job

si_c

Guru
For the fixed cup, I use a 40mm adjustable spanner, it's got an 18" arm so enough to untighten easily. For the locking it shouldn't be on too tight so a single pin locking spanner of any make should suffice, although I've removed one with a screwdriver and a hammer once or twice. Tightening really needs the locking spanner though as said above.

You need to be careful with Peugeot frames, some of them used a French threaded BB up until the early 80s, but by around 84 they were all using standard (that is reverse) BSA threaded BB.

In either case removal of the fixed cup probably isn't needed, unless you are replacing it with a cartridge BB. If it's a French threaded BB then don't bother as they're expensive. Best option is to repack with grease and out new blessings in, and use the old BB.

si_c

Guru
Thanks for this info. My hubs are stamped 11 84.

Have you got a full side on photo of the frame, as well as one of the headtube badge? That should help us date it a little closer. Unfortunately there is no definitive way of identifying the year of production, but the decals will help narrow it down to a period.

Top Bottom