1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peugeot 103

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by Rebuild1961, 7 Feb 2018.

Tags:
  1. Rebuild1961

Rebuild1961 Regular

Hello. What direction do the rings on both sides of this bb turn for removal 0207181439.jpg

2. midlife

midlife Veteran

French BB have right hand threads for both cups.....

3. OP
    OP
    Rebuild1961

Rebuild1961 Regular

Thank you. I need to get a spanner wrench since the one side is pretty tight and try to find a adjustable wrench for the other side.

4. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

I don't think those Peugeots had a French BB. Carbolite 103 were an early 1980s frame and I'm sure they used English threads, the drive side cup being a left handed one.

PHL67 and raleighnut like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Rebuild1961

Rebuild1961 Regular

Ok. I just ordered the wrench for the non drive side but what is the correct spanner wrench I need for the drive side?

6. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

A big adjustable spanner.

dave r likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Rebuild1961

Rebuild1961 Regular

Ok. I see on eBay a park tool hcw5. Is that the correct size.

8. gazza1286

gazza1286 Active Member

raleighnut likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    Rebuild1961

Rebuild1961 Regular

Tks for the video. I just ordered the wrench from park tools. My other concern is getting the right c spanner wrench for the drive side lock ring. I see some on eBay and wondering if this a universal size.

biggs682 likes this.
  10. biggs682

biggs682 Smile a mile bike provider

The lock rings are normally easy to get off using a big pair of water pump style pliers if worse come to worse , the c spanner is very useful when putting it all back together but again the pliers can do the job

11. overmind

overmind Active Member

It is worth using a cheater bar on the end of the big spanner to get it off. It can make it a lot easier.

biggs682 likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    Rebuild1961

Rebuild1961 Regular

Thanks for that. Also, are the spanner a universal fit?

13. si_c

si_c Über Member

For the fixed cup, I use a 40mm adjustable spanner, it's got an 18" arm so enough to untighten easily. For the locking it shouldn't be on too tight so a single pin locking spanner of any make should suffice, although I've removed one with a screwdriver and a hammer once or twice. Tightening really needs the locking spanner though as said above.

You need to be careful with Peugeot frames, some of them used a French threaded BB up until the early 80s, but by around 84 they were all using standard (that is reverse) BSA threaded BB.

In either case removal of the fixed cup probably isn't needed, unless you are replacing it with a cartridge BB. If it's a French threaded BB then don't bother as they're expensive. Best option is to repack with grease and out new blessings in, and use the old BB.

14. OP
    OP
    Rebuild1961

Rebuild1961 Regular

Thanks for this info. My hubs are stamped 11 84.

15. si_c

si_c Über Member

Have you got a full side on photo of the frame, as well as one of the headtube badge? That should help us date it a little closer. Unfortunately there is no definitive way of identifying the year of production, but the decals will help narrow it down to a period.