Peugeot 103

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Rebuild1961

Rebuild1961

Here's the pics
0208182052c.jpg
0208182052a.jpg
0208182052.jpg

si_c

Guru
Ooh, a helicomatic hub:hyper:

Looks like a mid 80s frame based on the head tube badge, should be regular BSA threaded BB.

OP
OP
Rebuild1961

Rebuild1961

In well I I ordered park tools for both sides of the BB cause I will need them for easier removal. I am guessing the removal of each side is counter clockwise

OP
OP
Rebuild1961

Rebuild1961

Next two projects Raleigh Super Record. All complete, got it on EBay for 90.00. I rode these back in the day mine was burgundy and I finally found one. Gonna look new when I'm finished. Other is Iron Horse Zebra. It was free, its cleaned and just got new bearings waiting to install. This stuff isn't high end but for me it's a good time spent.
0209180819.jpg
0209180820.jpg

si_c

Guru
In well I I ordered park tools for both sides of the BB cause I will need them for easier removal. I am guessing the removal of each side is counter clockwise
And here's your first gotcha! moment. The fixed cup (drive side) is going to be reverse threaded, so you undo it clockwise :wacko:

OP
OP
Rebuild1961

Rebuild1961

And here's your first gotcha! moment. The fixed cup (drive side) is going to be reverse threaded, so you undo it clockwise :wacko:
Well I finally got my c spanner, wasn't paying attention during removal, BB fell out. Measured 1 1/2 inches from ring before the taper and 1 7/16 on the other side. I can't believe I did this. So my stupid question is Does the longer side go on the drive side. I also decided not to remove the fixed cup, I have the. Wrench, cup is on there solid and I can clean it and add the new bearings from the other side.
0215182142a.jpg

OP
OP
Rebuild1961

Rebuild1961

For the fixed cup, I use a 40mm adjustable spanner, it's got an 18" arm so enough to untighten easily. For the locking it shouldn't be on too tight so a single pin locking spanner of any make should suffice, although I've removed one with a screwdriver and a hammer once or twice. Tightening really needs the locking spanner though as said above.

You need to be careful with Peugeot frames, some of them used a French threaded BB up until the early 80s, but by around 84 they were all using standard (that is reverse) BSA threaded BB.

In either case removal of the fixed cup probably isn't needed, unless you are replacing it with a cartridge BB. If it's a French threaded BB then don't bother as they're expensive. Best option is to repack with grease and out new blessings in, and use the old BB.
You are right. I just removed the lock ring and the BB and bearings. The Fixed cup is on there solid. So I will just replace bearings from the other side. Tks!

si_c

Guru
Well I finally got my c spanner, wasn't paying attention during removal, BB fell out. Measured 1 1/2 inches from ring before the taper and 1 7/16 on the other side. I can't believe I did this. So my stupid question is Does the longer side go on the drive side. I also decided not to remove the fixed cup, I have the. Wrench, cup is on there solid and I can clean it and add the new bearings from the other side. View attachment 396024

Longer side on mine goes to the drive side, as it pushes the rings out a little bit.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Longer side = drive side. Think you would find it easier to pop the (new) bearings in from the right side, through the hole, having pushed plenty of grease into that cup. They'll stick there awaiting the square taper spindle.

si_c

Guru
Longer side = drive side. Think you would find it easier to pop the (new) bearings in from the right side, through the hole, having pushed plenty of grease into that cup. They'll stick there awaiting the square taper spindle.
Yup. Unless you're using caged bearings.

OP
OP
Rebuild1961

Rebuild1961

Yup. Unless you're using caged bearings.
Here's some good news. I got the wrench from Park Tools for the fixed cup. Sprayed the cup with WD-40. Let it soak in overnight. Just got home, hit it three sacks with the wood mallet and off it came. I count 11 bearings each side and will put some new ones in. I wasn't gonna let this cup get past me. It was coming off.

Top Bottom