Peugeot Athena

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Searching for a Late 80s early 90 s road bike, unearthed one of the above, my size, not what I was thinking of, but very pretty chrome, 653 and well, er Campagnolo Athena first 7 speed version parts. £700+. What do you think, take it, or keep searching for a Harry Hall, Ribble or such like?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Nowt wrong with a Peugeot Athena, 653 sounds good. If it appeals go for it. Price looks reasonable if in good condition.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Sounds like someone has added a coronavirus premium to the price. :eek: Way more than I could stomach shelling out. Unless an absolute too good to refuse bargain falls right into my lap (which did happen with a 531 Raleigh in Nov), I'm not even looking to buy anything in the current market. Just no good value there.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
It is in mint condition really, old chap who used to sell bikes as a side line to walking and camping gear had it, still got the little rubber stalks on the tyres, You wouldn’t get the frame for £700 normally. Price isn’t a concern, more thinking what are they like to ride?
I have only ridden non 653 Peugeots, but they were always comfortable.
If you are taken with it, go for it.😁

Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I think when you consider how much a similar bike new today might cost I don’t think think what you paid is out of the way. Plus it is 653.

I suppose it comes down to an individual's perception of value and how many miles it's got on it. If it's essentially new old stock, then the cost seems a bit more tolerable.
When it comes to wear & tear, I don't make any assumptions about good mechanical condition. I will pay what I consider the frame itself to be worth, then if a bike is in decent mechanical order then it's a bonus.

Top Bottom