peurile

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have a photo of myself and bike at the roadsign for "Blueballs" in the Irish Republic. The Gaelic version of the village's name is "An Phailis". Pronounced "Phallus".

I'm absolutely serious.

There's a Butthole Lane somewhere near here and I often cycle down Butt Close Lane in Leicester city centre.

In Oxford there used to be a Grope C**t Lane in mediaeval times.....Dunno what went on there..............

Pete

Hilldodger said:
In Oxford there used to be a Grope C**t Lane in mediaeval times.....
I can think of two things that the stars could stand for.... let's hope I guessed at the ruder one... :tongue:

Incidentally, and somewhat OT but still in the spirit of this thread, there's the well-known (and familiar to all mushroom-hunters) group of wild fungi, Latin-named thus. The word is rarely abbreviated by experts even though they shorten a lot of names. I wonder why. :biggrin: Some in the group are edible, some are poisonous. Have a guess at how to pronounce the word: Wiki doesn't say (although one of the links does)!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Hilldodger said:
In Oxford there used to be a Grope C**t Lane in mediaeval times.....Dunno what went on there..............

Yeah, there was once of those about 500 yards from where I live now, as the crow flies (and it would have to fly through the Minster), until the city fathers changed it to Grape Lane.

Old Red Light district. Well, red candles back in them days, I guess.

Pete

Arch said:
Yeah, there was once of those about 500 yards from where I live now, as the crow flies (and it would have to fly through the Minster), until the city fathers changed it to Grape Lane.

Old Red Light district. Well, red candles back in them days, I guess.
Do you still have a Whip Ma Whop Ma Gate or summat?

walker

Joe24 said:
Cockermouth always makes me chuckle. There is also a place called Thong, and all the others i cant remember. There are a few more places with funny names, it was on the "impossible quiz" thats on the internet.

Its just past Gravesend, big signpost for it on the A2

Top Bottom