Phewwwer wrong choice of clothing tonight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi.
The rain had cleared but the roads were wet and it was dark outside.
I stuck my bald head out through the door to see how cool it was.
Hmmmm pretty cool I thought as my slap head felt the cool breeze, so i wrapped up a bit and set off for a ride of around 17 miles. A few miles in i could see another road cyclist in the distance and pressed on to see if i could catch him (yes i know its childish😂)
It was by this time I realised I'd wrapped up to well and was wearing completely the wrong cycling gear.
Got home looking like a drowned rat covered in sweat and completely over cooked.
Another Lesson learnt again tonight

It's a pain at this time of the year. You've got to check the temperature and the forecast as it's so variable from day to day.

As an overweight old ebiker - I still have this problem

Start out freezing in jeans, a t-shirt, flece and windproof/waterproof hi-vis
after a mile or so the waterproof in unzipped and a mile or so later the fleece is also unzipped

and that is with a motor helping out

doing it on an unassisted road bike must be a terrible connundrum!!

Jody

Stubborn git
I still find it difficult to judge wears at this time of year. The first mile or so from home is downhill no matter which direction travelled, so not only do you lose any temperature in you, it's also too late to turn around by the time you find out if your have under dressed.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I never seem to learn. Going out with clothing suitable for just stepping out the door, but sweating within a few miles. :laugh:

Jody

Stubborn git
I never seem to learn. Going out with clothing suitable for just stepping out the door, but sweating within a few miles. :laugh:

I use the shiver method when getting my bike out.

Feel comfortable - Too many clothes

Slight shiver and a few chills - Probably just right when warmed up

Convulsing - Need another layer or three and possibly a skull cap. Strong possibility of going back to bed :whistle:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
4.30 am is the start of my 20km commute. After 10 minutes its boiling. I am riding in as little as possible at the moment. I have loads of warm and waterproof gear in the panniers, just in case.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
It was 17*C round here first thing, unfeasibly warm for the hour, but the lovely Carol assures us by Thursday morning it will be significantly chillier.

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
I use the shiver method when getting my bike out.

Feel comfortable - Too many clothes

Slight shiver and a few chills - Probably just right when warmed up

Convulsing - Need another layer or three and possibly a skull cap. Strong possibility of going back to bed :whistle:
So agree on your assessment method, Jody. And sometimes it is hard to press by that little voice in your head that says, “yeah, but it CHILLY out there!” I have really been wrong listening to “when in doubt, wear less.” One tricky article of clothing is tricky though… Gloves. The other day I rode in decent temperatures with my fingerless gloves, as usual. I was glad that I had put my windbreaker gloves in my rear rack bag just in case. Found out quickly that there were 13 mph winds which made the fingers a little crispy. A quick switch made a nice difference. 🧤🧤

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
So agree on your assessment method, Jody. And sometimes it is hard to press by that little voice in your head that says, “yeah, but it CHILLY out there!” I have really been wrong listening to “when in doubt, wear less.” One tricky article of clothing is tricky though… Gloves. The other day I rode in decent temperatures with my fingerless gloves, as usual. I was glad that I had put my windbreaker gloves in my rear rack bag just in case. Found out quickly that there were 13 mph winds which made the fingers a little crispy. A quick switch made a nice difference. 🧤🧤
Agree on another thing… skull caps can make SUCH a Great difference. With so little weight or fabric. Also easy enough to bring along just in case. But once I am riding for a while I am more likely to be taking it off then putting it on. Great warmth ounce for ounce.

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
It's still pretty mild out. Been MTB shorts recently.
That’s one of the things I love about riding in fall weather, Fossy, even with chilly weather rolling in, it’s still comfortable enough to enjoy the fresh air on the legs. Until the cold works it’s way into the knees.

I was surprised to read, “The standard advice is to wear tights, knee or leg warmers when the temperature is 65F degrees (18C) or lower. Covering up protects your knees and keeps your muscles warm. There's no disadvantage to keeping your legs covered further into the spring.” (link) an interesting read, but it will still be rare for me to cover my legs in 18°C weather, especially on a dry day.

Top Bottom