Phillips possible project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I've just rescued this from a skip for £2.

It looks straight and is the right size for me. What can you tell me about it? It feels heavy so I'm guessing it is gas pipe.

Having had some success with a recent paint job, I'll almost certainly strip and paint this one ; then it gets difficult - my thought is to build it into a shopping bike.
20200422_102151.jpg

20200422_102213.jpg

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Don't know much about Phillips. Does it say Birmingham on the badge? If so it's an early one and the grease nipple on the BB would indicate that.
No idea idea if it's a roadster type or one of their sports bikes. Pump pegs on the top tube might suggest the latter. Do you want to keep it period correct or give it a more modern makeover?

Last edited:
OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
Thanks for your replies, the head badge says "Birmingham" and the seat post id is OD83.

I have some 70's Weinmann brakes and Carlton brake levers in my box of bits, so I might go with them and build some new wheels on Shimano hubs.

Given past experience I will spend £250 on this to create a £100 bike.😁

Any more info or suggestions welcome.

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
After a bit more investigation I have discovered that the pale blue and purple paint surfaces are soft and cover a very hard layer of black paint, which I guess is the original colour.

Dropout spacings are 90/126mm and BB is 68mm.

Frame and fork weigh 4kg

Looking at photos I'm thinking this was a fairly basic tourer, would you agree?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
After a bit more investigation I have discovered that the pale blue and purple paint surfaces are soft and cover a very hard layer of black paint, which I guess is the original colour.

Dropout spacings are 90/126mm and BB is 68mm.

Frame and fork weigh 4kg

Looking at photos I'm thinking this was a fairly basic tourer, would you agree?
I don't think a basic 'tourer' would have a 'double clanger' on it, the dual cable guides point to a higher spec machine. I'd say it was pre the Raleigh takeover in 1960 too.

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
I don't think a basic 'tourer' would have a 'double clanger' on it, the dual cable guides point to a higher spec machine. I'd say it was pre the Raleigh takeover in 1960 too.
Thanks @raleighnut , I'm beginning to think this is worth building up into a drop bar bike for sunny days.

classic33

Leg End Member
Sorry 83DO
Frame numbers were a letter, followed up to four numbers.

Phillips Cycles were started in 1952, when they used "A" as the prefix letter. "D" would mean yours dates back to/from 1956.

Owned by Tube Investments from 1920. And as an aside they, Phillips were investigated during the First World War for "trading with the enemy". This at the time when they manufactured cycle parts.

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/J._A._Phillips_and_Co

Last edited:
OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
Frame numbers were a letter, followed up to four numbers.

Phillips Cycles were started in 1952, when they used "A" as the prefix letter. "D" would mean yours dates back to/from 1956.

Owned by Tube Investments from 1920. And as an aside they, Phillips were investigated during the First World War for "trading with the enemy". This at the time when they manufactured cycle parts.

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/J._A._Phillips_and_Co
Thank you, @classic33 , that's helpful. One year younger than me then.

I'm thinking now that I will repaint and then build wheels and use modern components to create a nice retro bike.

Top Bottom