Phone apps . Any recommendations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shropshire65LW

I’m sure this has been covered before somewhere in the depth of previous posts ...

any useful apps ......tracking / routes
or anything else useful

Trigger369

Über Member
Just heard if a new thing today called .my windsock . Does wind speed/direction and things .havnt tried it yet tho

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
I’m sure this has been covered before somewhere in the depth of previous posts ...

any useful apps ......tracking / routes
or anything else useful
Maps.me is good for offline maps.
EasyRoute is sadly iOS only but is a really intuitive route planner and viewer.
RainToday works well for dodging downpours. I use it to adjust my commute times.

freiston

Veteran
OsmAnd for me. Once it's on the phone, you don't need a data signal. The mapping detail is excellent, the amount of configuration options is astounding and the navigation aids good. I have used it to auto-plot a route when I had to change my plans on a small camping trip. It also records gpx tracks and you open tracks with it (so you can create a track/route on the pc and use it on the phone).

Stul

Veteran
I use View Ranger...brilliant app. which costs about £25 per year. You can download routes or create them yourself, or you can generate a track as you cycle then convert it to a route. You can "play them back" in 3D.
Really easy to use as well.

MntnMan62

Über Member
I use the free version of Strava. It's not bad. I can track my route for each ride, mileage, average speed, ride time and total time, elevation gain and it gives me breakdowns for different segments. I also have Relive which I also downloaded for free but have yet to use it. Maybe I'll use it for today's ride and report back. There are others but these are the only two I know.

OsmAnd for me. Once it's on the phone, you don't need a data signal. The mapping detail is excellent, the amount of configuration options is astounding and the navigation aids good. I have used it to auto-plot a route when I had to change my plans on a small camping trip. It also records gpx tracks and you open tracks with it (so you can create a track/route on the pc and use it on the phone).
+1
They keep updating it as well and, unlike most app updates, they are actually useful. They have just allowed you to create custom POIs to appear on the map. I don't use it for live navigating (garmin etrex does that) but for offline looking at the bigger picture, displaying my gpxs on.
It's a bargain.
I now prefer its mapping to OS, which i was always a big fan of.
I have it installed on a 7 inch tablet which i often carry with me (am a pannier person)

Mike_P

Guru
What3words, gives you location in three words should you need assistance or need someone to meet you. Emergency services etc know of it.

17track to keep a eye on any deliveries expected or items sent (i.e. eBay sales) rather than having to use each delivery companies app or web site.

Store apps if you have their card, these give you offers / discounts; Morrisons, Co-Op, Nectar (Sainsbury's), M&S. Possibly Tesco's does as well?

Notepad Free - a useful note app

If you are with BT for you home internet, BT wi-fi which will connect your phone to the nearest BT wi-fi, be it someone's home wi-fi or a shop wi-fi. Quite good cycling through a village hearing a cash register noise as something sells on eBay^_^

Top Bottom