Phone cases and card

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GetFatty

Über Member
So I've never really been one for putting a case on my phone but I've now found a really nice leather one (not the rubbishy PU stuff) that has card slots in it. I've not carried cash since the start of Covid so this seems like an opportunity to ditch my wallet and carry one less thing.

However for some reason the notion of having my phone and my cards in the same enclosure is giving me a case of the heebie jeebies. I'm really not sure why as (touching lots of wood) I've never lost my phone or my wallet and I've never had either stolen.

What does the jury think? I'm I being over risk averse?

Sharky

Guru
"All eggs in one basket" springs to mind.
My daughter & partner were in a boat on Lake Garda - and you can guess - he leaned over and dropped his phone into the water and it's now at the bottom of Lake Garda.

I often pop a bank card into my phone when I am on a ride, but normally keep them separate.

Keep them separate as the phone will end up wiping the contactless from the card and it will stop working unless you put the card into the chip and pin machine. Contactless works on the same basis as hotel swipe cards with a magnetic field used to programme the chip.

alicat

Legendary Member
These days I go out so little and for such short periods of time that it makes sense to keep what I need in the same place. I do however only put one bank card with the phone. The credit card stays at home so I have a back up.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
So I've never really been one for putting a case on my phone but I've now found a really nice leather one (not the rubbishy PU stuff) that has card slots in it. I've not carried cash since the start of Covid so this seems like an opportunity to ditch my wallet and carry one less thing.

However for some reason the notion of having my phone and my cards in the same enclosure is giving me a case of the heebie jeebies. I'm really not sure why as (touching lots of wood) I've never lost my phone or my wallet and I've never had either stolen.

What does the jury think? I'm I being over risk averse?
i wouldn't, but I do touch my wood occasionally.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I have (had) phone in a case.
Carry 20 quid(ish) and credit card. Have done so for many years with no problems.
Recently changed my phone and yet to get a new case.

tom73

Guru
What's a bank card ? not used one for a long time mostly cashless use contactless all the time long before covid. I don't need mostly need my cards all on my watch or phone all secure and up to the date account balance. I don't have a high street bank either.

Contactless works on the same basis as hotel swipe cards with a magnetic field used to programme the chip.

Nope, contactless works on NFC (Near-Field Communication). Your phone *might* wipe the magnetic strip on the back of the card, but that is not part of contactless at all.

si_c

Guru
Don't generally carry a card at all anymore, most transactions I do are under the £45 contactless limit so I just use my phone. If I need cash the Natwest app lets me withdraw from their cash machines without the card if needed, but I haven't really used cash except for the chippy for a long time.

If I'm out for an all day ride I may carry some cash in case of emergency or my phone dying, but that's not something that happens very often either these days.

tom73

Guru
Depends on your phone I've never had a countless limit. Old card machines limited at time but they are mostly all updated or replaced now.

dodgy

I just use my phone for contactless payments, most places now have made the changes to accept it since hard cash became suddenly so unpopular around March for some reason:wacko:
I've had a tenner between phone case and phone for the best part of 2 years in case of emergency, but like I said, contactless is almost everywhere and if I know a café doesn't take it, I go to somewhere that does.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I have not used my wallet for years. It is in the safe, together with credit card , driving licence etc.... I only carry my bank card and bus pass with my phone.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have boot carried a wallet for quite a few years now. I rely on an emergency £20 note and a credit card tucked being the silicon skin on my phone. However, 95% of my transactions will be using contactless/apple pay. The wallet only comes out when I am travelling, although even that is not 100% necessary as if I lost my payment methods then American Express would sort me out very quickly.

Top Bottom