Phone cases and card

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
G

GetFatty

Über Member
Maybe I should start using Apple Pay more but that just adds to the issue with the phone case. My phone is set up to use my debit card account but would the machine get confused with the phone and a contactless credit card in the wallet?

Nope, contactless works on NFC (Near-Field Communication). Your phone *might* wipe the magnetic strip on the back of the card, but that is not part of contactless at all.

NFC is an electromagnetic field given out by the chip...

The NFC on the phone and the NFC on the card sometimes don’t like each other and as the phone is usually the winner the card tags stops working with contactless. I’ve had three bank cards where this has happened to me.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Maybe I should start using Apple Pay more but that just adds to the issue with the phone case. My phone is set up to use my debit card account but would the machine get confused with the phone and a contactless credit card in the wallet?
Occasionally I use to havecard clash, where the reader does not know which chip to use, but since sliding the chip on the cards to the bottom of the case I have not have the problem for over a year.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
So I've never really been one for putting a case on my phone but I've now found a really nice leather one (not the rubbishy PU stuff) that has card slots in it. I've not carried cash since the start of Covid so this seems like an opportunity to ditch my wallet and carry one less thing.

However for some reason the notion of having my phone and my cards in the same enclosure is giving me a case of the heebie jeebies. I'm really not sure why as (touching lots of wood) I've never lost my phone or my wallet and I've never had either stolen.

What does the jury think? I'm I being over risk averse?
I carry a card and cash in my cycling wallet - I keep this separate from my day to day wallet. I then have Google pay on my phone.

I carry my wallet in my saddle bag and my phone in my pocket. Works well for me.

I would NEVER carry a card in my phone case. Regardless of the NFC issue the security issue is significant.

tom73

Guru
Just do it once you get use it you just end up forgetting everything else. i've used it from day one never looked backed.
Your phone or cards don't know about each other it's not a problem they work totally different. Unlike an ebook for example the information on your phone is not the same it's not just digital copy of your card. It's a lot more safer and complex than that. If you mean the card reader then that maybe a problem if your card gets in way of reader. Just ditch it you know you want to :smile:

NFC is an electromagnetic field given out by the chip...
NFC is an electromangnetic field given out by the reader. A phone can do both. A card is passive and emits no field, it just reacts to the field of the reader. Your cards should not suffer damage, although I personally wouldn't store phone and cards together anyway, as that mag strip can be a useful last resort...

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Personally I couldn't do it. I have always had a zip up wallet since I was a kid and still prefer to pay with real money although that has been difficult recently for obvious reasons. I always carry a wallet with some cash in it and a pocket knife and can't see it changing ever.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
It may depend on who you bank with. In my instance for certain transactions both phone and card are required as a security feature.

If I lose my phone or card individually the worst which can happen is Google Pay or my card could be used for small transactions.

If both were to fall in to the wrong hands there would be the potential for significant sums to be involved.

Many online banking transactions require card details and will then send a text message with a security code. The security code is then used to verify the transaction.

This is very commonplace. I can't even log in to accounts on my laptop without my phone being present. I have one account which requires a card reader.

Keeping your bank card with your phone significantly reduces personal banking security.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
It may depend on who you bank with. In my instance for certain transactions both phone and card are required as a security feature.

If I lose my phone or card individually the worst which can happen is Google Pay or my card could be used for small transactions.

If both were to fall in to the wrong hands there would be the potential for significant sums to be involved.

Many online banking transactions require card details and will then send a text message with a security code. The security code is then used to verify the transaction.

This is very commonplace. I can't even log in to accounts on my laptop without my phone being present. I have one account which requires a card reader.

Keeping your bank card with your phone significantly reduces personal banking security.

For me there is no significant risk. My phone is always locked and will be remotely wiped if the passcode is entered incorrectly too many times. The card can only be used like any other card for small transactions, which I would not be liable for if I reported the card lost in reasonable time. Losing my phone would be a real pain, but losing the phone and one credit card would only be a minor extra inconvenience.

tom73

Guru
I've no risk at all Apple watch locks when removed apple on my phone Apple pay won't from home screen so needs pass code. Easy to wipe , can even lock my bank card remotely.Both will also lock if wrong code is entered too many times. Even if anyone did use your covered unless you allowed some to use it. Holding either at a reader won't work either you need to be able to use the device.

Top Bottom