Phone charger cables..... I thought they were standardised.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I thought I had read the phone manufacturers had agreed to standardise. Apparently not :blush:.
I have just replaced a SAMSUNG J5 with a SAMSUNG A20. Same company......different bl**d connector/fitting :wacko:.
The new cable is only 800mm long so won't even reach from a socket to the chair.
I now have to source a supplier I can trust at a sensible price GRRRRHHH

vickster

Legendary Member
Be easier to move the chair or use an extension cable from the socket.
I use an iPhone and find the Sephia cables good (and warrantied), presume they do for Samsung type sockets

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
The new cable is only 800mm long so won't even reach from a socket to the chair.
I now have to source a supplier I can trust at a sensible price GRRRRHHH

You may find that your new cable charges the phone at a completely different speed so it's not all disadvantages to the original. A new one might be a bit or a lot slower. Samsung generally are very slow at charging due to being very conservative with charging tech, so it doesn't make much of a deal for me (wireless charging).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Be easier to move the chair or use an extension cable from the socket.
I use an iPhone and find the Sephia cables good (and warrantied), presume they do for Samsung type sockets
Thats all I need..... a new cable. With the chair as close to the socket as possible the new cable allows the phone to rest on the arm. The floor is hardwood:blush:.
My point though is a) why can they not standardise and b) why supply a £150 phone then penny pinch on a bit of cable.
Yeah......sell a gazillion phones and save a penny on each one:sad:

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
This is Dave7 you are asking ^_^
Its a cable with a bit at each end.
I think the old cable is slightly thinner and the bit that plugs into the phone is smaller.
That link is interesting......I will look into that. Thanks.

marinyork

This is Dave7 you are asking ^_^
Its a cable with a bit at each end.
I think the old cable is slightly thinner and the bit that plugs into the phone is smaller.
That link is interesting......I will look into that. Thanks.

You may have one in your Samsung box.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
You may have one in your Samsung box.
Pretty certain there isn't but I will check again.
You may find that your new cable charges the phone at a completely different speed so it's not all disadvantages to the original. A new one might be a bit or a lot slower. Samsung generally are very slow at charging due to being very conservative with charging tech, so it doesn't make much of a deal for me (wireless charging).
They do claim its a super fast charge.
The new cable, as I said, is thicker. Could a longer cable slow the charge speed ?

marinyork

Pretty certain there isn't but I will check again.

They do claim its a super fast charge.
The new cable, as I said, is thicker. Could a longer cable slow the charge speed ?

Hmmm shame.

A different cable could well slow the charge speed. It's not just the cable but the implementation of USB and how this interacts with charging speeds in the phone. An extreme example is a damaged or slow cable could say takes around 5 hours to charge. Others will say about 2 hours.

However, I have a samsung phone and I turn quick charge off, so for me it makes little difference usually between cables. If you're in a hurry it'll matter.

It is annoying when I plug a friend's phone into my cable and it has quick charge 4 and goes whoosh though.

D

Deleted member 26715

Yeah......sell a gazillion phones and save a penny on each one:sad:
You have answered your own question, not quite sure how big a gazillion is ^_^ but for instance had you said 1 Million phones then the saving would be 1p in 1,000,000 so £10,000 (if I have got my maths right) would you be happy to throw away £10k?

D

Deleted member 26715

I have to agree with this, but they seem to be making a move in the right direction, C usb is becoming more common on lots of phones and other small devices.
Built in obsolescence is what it is all about, although there is an element of improvement.

Top Bottom