Photography

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Melvil

andyoxon said:
I really enjoy taking photos – my first camera being a Pentax ME Super. I stopped using my Nikon FE2 about 3 years ago, and have been using a Lumix superzoom until now. A long reach telephoto is great fun, but I probably enjoy a good wideangle landscape more...

Do have a look at some of my initial flickr offerings... :smile: http://www.flickr.com/photos/25983110@N05/sets/72157605102265713/

Andy

Some really nice pics in there Andy. Like the sailing ones down Pompey way and the one of Culross which I've cycled to many a time.

2007_08091Run0005.jpg

River Witham. Lincoln.

2007_08091Run0006.jpg

Willows on the Witham. Lincoln

2007_08091Run0019.jpg

The New and the Old. Brayford Pool, Lincoln

All taken last summer during a potter along one of the cycle path/routes nearby. More pics if you click on the link in my sig.

Melvil said:
Some really nice pics in there Andy. Like the sailing ones down Pompey way and the one of Culross which I've cycled to many a time.

Thanks melvil. You've an amazing & very popular collection - well done. I haven't fully got to grips with using my flickr acct optimally yet, thinking about the right tags etc...and need to do a ton of uploading.

Andy

John the Monkey said:
/Raises hand

I use a Nikon D70, Nikon F3HP, Nikon F90x, Nikon FE, Canon Canonet QL19 GIII, Kiev 4a, Yashica Electro - I like an Olympus XA2 or Mju-II for taking along whilst on the bike.
Pictures are in the link in my sig.

My favourites change all the time, but I think the best stuff I did was my "White Suit" set - a series of portraits of people I asked on the spot for a picture linked by the fact that their job is traditionally done by people wearing white.

Great site JtM. I like your "Here comes the summer", and enjoy taking action shots of kids having fun. A couple of my efforts from our trip to Scotland...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25983110@N05/2479244220/in/set-72157604970820030?edited=1
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25983110@N05/2478432819/in/set-72157604970820030/

Melvil

andyoxon said:
Thanks melvil. You've an amazing & very popular collection - well done. I haven't fully got to grips with using my flickr acct optimally yet, thinking about the right tags etc...and need to do a ton of uploading.

Andy

Cheers Andy!

Tags are really important with flickr - a lot of people have accessed my photos purely because of the right tags and I put a whole lot of tags on to capture what's in my photo. You can also put your pics on a map which is kind of fun to see where you've been but I have a few misgivings with it...

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I don't have any fancy eqiuipment nor nuffink, but I like taking random shots f stuff..
Here's a few
1) A ruined abbey
2) The Gobi desert from the air :smile:
3) some grass near the sea.

(edit: 2 days later... oh right, they were popular then!)

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I'm beginning to think I am the last of the film photographers. I decided that because I mainly do landscapes or portraits i.e. things that tend to sit still and so have time to think about all the factors etc. that there were no advantages for me to be gained from digital. Out of interest is anybody else of a simlilar view?

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I shoot mostly digital these days, but still have about a dozen film cameras.

The main benefit to me of digital is that the processing and printing can now be done from the comfort of my sofa with no smelly chemicals involved. :-) It's also very handy when shooting portraits to take a series of shots, get feedback from the sitter, shoot some more, etc. It turns it into a very interactive process which is (a) popular with clients and (:tongue: fun.

Ben

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I can see why that would be the case. I quite like building up a stack of films and then putting them in for development having completely forgotten what's on them and so getting the slides back is a great pleasure. I'm currently trying to build up the nerve to develop my own B&W large format negs. Is it possible to do contact prints using the sun as the light source as they did in the old days or are the papers too light sensitive these days?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Andy in Sig said:
I'm beginning to think I am the last of the film photographers. I decided that because I mainly do landscapes or portraits i.e. things that tend to sit still and so have time to think about all the factors etc. that there were no advantages for me to be gained from digital. Out of interest is anybody else of a simlilar view?

About 50/50 digital to film. If I want something that I *know* I won't have to faff with and post process, I'd go for film every time - pick the right one for the look you want, process, scan. Piece of cake.

Add the exposure latitude, push/pull processing...the black and white in this set were shot at a more or less consistent 1/125s, with the meter indicating anything from that speed down to 1/2s - and every negative was usable.

I did last year's "Photo a Day" for July project on the DVD forums on film only (everyone thought I was bonkers for doing so).

And as for slides...well, the day digital can match the beauty of those perfect little individual images in their frames...

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Andy in Sig said:
Is it possible to do contact prints using the sun as the light source as they did in the old days
I can't see why not, but these days I just scan the negs so don't do any wet printing.

Ben

Top Bottom