Photos atop your favourite climbs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Pico de Velete in Spain. Europe's highest road. LINKY
Is where myself, @Trickedem & @rb58 will be going to and climbing in September.......:bicycle::bicycle::bicycle:

View attachment 117599

49247741.PicoVeleta1.jpg
:sad:

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
It's always going to be Col de Rousset for me... especially as it's only 15 minutes away from the 'other' house...

DSC01390.JPG

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I can play this game....

Here's @nickyboy & @dan_bo at the top of the Snake. I had been sat waiting for them for quite a while :whistle:
snake2_zpseffce78c.jpg

And this is my bike, taken while I was waiting (just to prove I was there and haven't lifted the image from somewhere else on the net!).
snake1_zps11023c16.jpg

This is another shot from a different forum ride but again at the top of the Snake, one of my New Years Day epics. It was a grim day but from left to right is Me, @400bhp & @skudupnorth .
We didn't hang around for long, it was bloomin perishing!
summit.jpg

And we rode up Winnats later the same day :okay:

And I know the theme is a bit repetitive but this is another visit to the Snake made last winter after the road had been officially closed for a day or two due to snow....
upload_2016-2-1_10-31-32.png
upload_2016-2-1_10-32-56.png

Getting away from the Snake and jumping a few lumps away to Holme Moss. This is another famous climb but as a local jaunt doesn't really mean that much to me as a climb. However, I was enormously proud of my two sons who, aged only 8 and 11yrs old at the time rode up from the Glossop side with fully laden rucksacks the night before the TdF passed through. We camped out overnight complete with campfire & BBQ to watch the race whizz past the next day. A truly memorable climb this time because of the events surrounding it.
Loaded up at the bottom, that is 4 panniers full of burgers, buns, beer, sleeping bags and charcoal for the BBQ :cheers:
upload_2016-2-1_10-54-1.png
upload_2016-2-1_10-54-56.png

Me with a tin of...... Skol, just near the summit.
upload_2016-2-1_10-57-35.png

Campfire made me quite popular with the other hardy campers as the night-time temperatures dropped.
upload_2016-2-1_11-0-0.png

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'll have to remember to take in 1/3rd less breaths,,,
I think 1/2 *more* breaths is what you will be needing! ((3/2) * (2/3) = 1) :whistle:

I seem to have developed a bit of a phobia about low oxygen levels since my well-known breathing problems of 2013/2014. The highest altitude I have ever cycled to was only just over 1,000 metres and I didn't really notice the reduced oxygen up there but I think I would really struggle at 3,400 metres.

I will have to try some smaller mountains and see how I get on. I really do want to cycle in the Alps, Pyrenees and Dolomites before I get too old to cope.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I think 1/2 *more* breaths is what you will be needing! ((3/2) * (2/3) = 1) :whistle:

I seem to have developed a bit of a phobia about low oxygen levels since my well-known breathing problems of 2013/2014. The highest altitude I have ever cycled to was only just over 1,000 metres and I didn't really notice the reduced oxygen up there but I think I would really struggle at 3,400 metres.

I will have to try some smaller mountains and see how I get on. I really do want to cycle in the Alps, Pyrenees and Dolomites before I get too old to cope.

When I was in the Sierra Nevada's in the US a few years back, also over 3000m's, the air was noticeably thinner but not a problem.

ColinJ

When I was in the Sierra Nevada's in the US a few years back, also over 3000m's, the air was noticeably thinner but not a problem.
Maybe it would only be a problem if racing? Touring cyclists can reduce their oxygen needs by just slowing down!

The photos taken on Mallorca make me want to go and ride there and the highest road is well under 1,000 metres high so I wouldn't have any problems breathing there.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Maybe it would only be a problem if racing? Touring cyclists can reduce their oxygen needs by just slowing down!

The photos taken on Mallorca make me want to go and ride there and the highest road is well under 1,000 metres high so I wouldn't have any problems breathing there.

Oh blimey, I certainly won't be racing.

ColinJ

I am probably being over-cautious but the trauma of struggling to breathe for several months has stuck with me. I am ok on UK climbs but we do not have any worryingly high roads here.

I'll go back to the Costa Blanca and see how I get on there at about 1,000 metres.

Anyway ... I like seeing the photos taken from summits, so keep on posting them!

OP
OP
blazed

blazed

220lb+

The puig major is 1500m, goes a fair bit higher still but that's closed for public access (military base). But other than that you're right, the climbs aren't huge neither are they steep. The scenery is amazing, the road condition, weather and driver behaviour all excellent.

My favourite place I've cycled, I am back end of April for the Mallorca 312.

Top Bottom