Photos capture aftermath of cyclist’s crash with Dublin taxi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
What is this "locked onto the pedals" thing of which you speak?
How do you know he/she wasn't 'clipped in'?

In one of the photos in the link it looks like it was a Dublin equivalent of a "Boris bike", so presumably they aren't fitted with clipless pedals?

CpMs7e8WEAAehyv.jpg

davidphilips

Veteran
What is this "locked onto the pedals" thing of which you speak?
How do you know he/she wasn't 'clipped in'?

should have said clipped. just wonder in the event of an accident are cyclists clipped in safer than cyclists with flat pedals or is it the other way about?
i know from personal experience that in the event of a fall its far safer to hold onto the handlebars i lost almost all use of my right arm for over a year by putting my arm out in an accident.

Brandane

Legendary Member
should have said clipped. just wonder in the event of an accident are cyclists clipped in safer than cyclists with flat pedals or is it the other way about?
i know from personal experience that in the event of a fall its far safer to hold onto the handlebars i lost almost all use of my right arm for over a year by putting my arm out in an accident.
Holding on to the bars sounds to me like a recipe for a broken collar bone, or head hitting the ground. I will always put an arm out in a fall; it's a natural reflex designed to protect our heads (and another reason why hel***s are a waste of space IMHO, but let's not go there on THIS thread :whistle:).
Re clipped in; again I would think you have a better chance of regaining balance by sticking a leg out, or using your foot/leg to slow the fall, if NOT clipped in.

davidphilips

Veteran
Holding on to the bars sounds to me like a recipe for a broken collar bone, or head hitting the ground. I will always put an arm out in a fall; it's a natural reflex designed to protect our heads (and another reason why hel***s are a waste of space IMHO, but let's not go there on THIS thread :whistle:).
Re clipped in; again I would think you have a better chance of regaining balance by sticking a leg out, or using your foot/leg to slow the fall, if NOT clipped in.

what i was told if a tree falls then branches get broken in a fall,whereas if tucked in theres less chance of damage ,if i had not put my arms out ( natural reaction as you say) then i would not have suffered the damage i received,if i had only broken a collar bone it would have been a minor injury compared to what i went(and to some extent still going) though.

lets hope none of us have falls or even worse an accident like the one at the start of this, ttfn and safe cycling.

boydj

Legendary Member

Holding onto the bars is not a good idea. A couple of years ago I hit a patch of diesel going round a right-hander. I went down so quickly my hands were still on the hoods when I hit the road. This resulted in broken bones in both hands when the bars landed on the right hand and the left thumb was yanked off the bar.

It's not a coincidence that the commonest cyclist injury from a fall is a broken collarbone resulting from putting the arm out.

davidphilips

Veteran
Holding onto the bars is not a good idea. A couple of years ago I hit a patch of diesel going round a right-hander. I went down so quickly my hands were still on the hoods when I hit the road. This resulted in broken bones in both hands when the bars landed on the right hand and the left thumb was yanked off the bar.

It's not a coincidence that the commonest cyclist injury from a fall is a broken collarbone resulting from putting the arm out.

wonder whats the safest then if holding onto the bars is not advisable but putting an arm or arms out can result in a broken collarbone (or worse my injuries included a large tear in radial cuff muscle and 2 broken bones both open fractures .) and before anyone says i know dont fall of is the best solution but what to do in the event of an accident?

Top Bottom