phrases and words not properly understood

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norm

To add my own to the mix, my wife's favourite is "going 11 to the dozen". It doesn't matter how many times I tell her that means slower than it should be.

Oh, and another one which I see plenty on biker forums is "I got stopped for driving with undue care and attention". Well, the poor dears aren't usually overly endowed with intelligence. ;)

..... it's better than sitting in looking at four walls.

I don't know about you but if I sit down I can only possibly see 3. Do they have eyes in the back of their head - sorry that's another one too.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Over The Hill said:
I really hate it when reporters use “Birthday” when they mean anniversary.

It is everywhere. Even the BBC recently reported on Facebook’s 5th Birthday.

If it was not actually born then I cannot see that it can have a birthday.

The CTC are guilty of that one.

Arch

Married to Night Train
User3143 said:
I'm answering the OP, this is the answer I gave to a post in another thread on Monday, it was misunderstood, and another thread was started about me and my forum etiquette yesterday. Which I replied to and then was pulled down by the mods for ''an open attack on a forum member.''

So, if you're answering the OP, say so, or explain the context a bit. Otherwise it reads like you're calling the person above you 'moronic', which is a bit unfair on them.

Happiness Stan

Anyway...

Presenters who introduce athletes as 'former Olympic gold medallists'

If you win a gold medal you will be a gold medallist for all time. They don't take it off you. Unless you are Ben Johnson maybe.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Thanks for the hyperbole explanations. I never realised we had so many classics scholars on here. There must be some others. I used to not understand, "If the cap fits, wear it," but I think I do now. I used to wonder what "A stitch in time saves nine," meant, but I think I've cracked that too. "Begs the question," still gets misused a lot, although I noticed they say, "Raises the question," on radio 4 these days (but not radio 5 live).

longers

Legendary Member
This link might be useful.

Ms RT is fond of using the made up word "furtherless". I thought she'd just got it wrong until she explained the other day that it means the opposite of "furthermore": in other words, if you're listing reasons why something is bad, you'd use it. "Take That are splitting up. And furtherless, Robbie Williams is starting a solo career ", for instance.

Top Bottom