Phrases I`m getting increasingly sick of hearing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
One of my daughters uses 'to be fair' on every occasion, whether or (more usually not) fairness is in any way involved. I wouldn't say I'm necessarily sick of hearing it as such, but I have put all her belongings out on the pavement.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
'woke' : yes, I know there was a recent anti-woke thread, but I've had a gutful of hearing this word misused. :banghead:

Also, a special mention to some of my work colleagues, who are overfond of 'moving forward'. :banghead: The annoying thing is: I work for a French company, which means I have a lot of French colleagues at work, and they use this phrase also. They've quickly learned the English corporate lingo, and 'moved on' from avancer... :laugh:

I'm certainly not anti-French, by the way: I'm definitely a Francophile, and think that the country, the people and the language are gorgeous. :wub: (particularly the mountains, which I visit on bicycles every chance I get).

Last edited:

Smudge

Veteran
Hearing a lot of people putting 'Who knew' on the start of something these days.....
'Who knew, this could be so good.... so cheap.... so fantastic..... so tasty... etc etc.

"We are sorry to announce..." what ever is wrong/missing/late and finishing with "We apologise for this inconvenience ".

Usually said from miles away, where they know they're safe.
Along the same lines:

"We're/I'm sorry for any offence caused"
No, you're not. You're not apologising for saying or doing something offensive, you're saying "I'm sorry you were offended"

*grump*

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Smug tw@ts that work outdoors in a really nice picturesque location, and then they call it.... 'Their Office'

Like this....?

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Literally.

Why do so many of my younger work colleagues seem to have to add "literally" to every single thing they say?

"I literally haven't had my lunch yet."
"It literally cost me a tenner."
"I was literally driving down the dual carriageway and this Ford literally overtook me.." well if it didn't overtake you what else did it do?:stop:
It's "effectively" where I work.

Top Bottom