Phrases I`m getting increasingly sick of hearing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I wonder what the inhabitants of Linlithgow are called.
From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linlithgow:
1579877880751.png

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Using 'floor' when it should be 'ground' irritates me.

A floor is the walking surface of a building with a roof, it is not a substitute for ground in the open air.

Football commentators do it all the time - the player was knocked to the floor.

Cyclists fall into the same trap - I had a blowout and hit the floor.

One could argue an indoor football arena and an indoor velodrome both have a floor.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I get irritated by the misuse of „less“ and „fewer“
I also realise this makes me an annoying pedant as the meaning is no less clear by the use of the wrong word.
I fight hard to keep my pompous opinions to myself. It’s a struggle!

Me too. My wife is guilty of this and when I point out her error she says, "Every time you pick me up on a grammar rule I love you a little bit fewer."

BianchiVirgin

Über Member
People saying "I was sat" or "I was stood" type phrases. Boils my p*ss. It should of course be sitting or standing respectively.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Misuse of the word 'like' to mean 'such as' is another common one.

Someone might say: "Footballers like Lionel Messi earn millions," meaning Messi is an example of a well-paid footballer.

What the first part of the phrase correctly means is footballers, as a body of men, collectively like - are fond of - Lionel Messi.

It should be: "Footballers such as Lionel Messi earn millions."

Phrases I am getting sick of hearing:

"Woke" Although, as an old white straight male I probably object to some of the notions behind "woke" or "wokeness", that is not the point of my rant. I just detest the construction of a sentence such as "John is woke" or "You will see numerous examples of wokeness in the book".

"Rocks" in the sense of "Tom rocks grey trousers and a blue shirt" or "your dining room needs to rock the latest trend from Paris".

Rocky

Hello decadence
Phrases I am getting sick of hearing:

"Woke" Although, as an old white straight male I probably object to some of the notions behind "woke" or "wokeness", that is not the point of my rant. I just detest the construction of a sentence such as "John is woke" or "You will see numerous examples of wokeness in the book".

"Rocks" in the sense of "Tom rocks grey trousers and a blue shirt" or "your dining room needs to rock the latest trend from Paris".
Although, the phrase Tom woke up and got his rocks off, seems much more enticing.

mustang1

Guru
First World Problem.

When you tell someone of a problem and they respond with "that's a first world problem". Like so what? Does that mean it's any less important? What if they tell me they didn't get paid for a job, should I tell them it's a first world problem?

Wth.

Top Bottom