Phrases I`m getting increasingly sick of hearing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Don't worry, they (we?) will all be dead soon. Young people are much nicer.

Hmmn, would that that were universally true.

Some of the younger ones seem to have learnt some bad tricks off of the older ones.. :blink:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Hmmn, would that that were universally true.

Some of the younger ones seem to have learnt some bad tricks off of the older ones.. :blink:
Of course. Peanuts, like the poor, will always be with us. But judging by my daughters' friends and acquaintances, the young are generally a lot less sexist/racist/homophobic and the like than the old - and a lot less so than the old were when they were young. It's not perfect, never will be, but on the whole I'd say things are heading in the right direction.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Of course. Peanuts, like the poor, will always be with us. But judging by my daughters' friends and acquaintances, the young are generally a lot less sexist/racist/homophobic and the like than the old - and a lot less so than the old were when they were young. It's not perfect, never will be, but on the whole I'd say things are heading in the right direction.

That's my experience with my sons friends, and all my younger friends too.
They're incredibly switched on about all this stuff.

But I'm also aware that this is a statistically skewed selection of 'nice' ppl from the groups I mainly inhabit.

I still hear of, and even see first hand, plenty of out of order behaviour, from outside of that "bubble of loveliness".

Let's hope it is mainly dying out as you say.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Entry level.
Wth does that mean? Just marketing BS.
and what we don't hear any more: vertically compliant, laterally stiff (the aerodynamics fashion has taken over that vogue).

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Totally OT but you remind me of visiting a shed in Grimsby where rows of men & women were gutting/filleting flat fish, at gobsmacking speed. While I was talking with the line manager, I suddenly became aware of a loud knocking thundering through the shed, and turned to see the entire workforce banging the heels of their knives on the table. "Someone must have nicked themselves," said the line manager, telling me later that the practice went back to the middle ages.
30 years ago I went out on the North Wall in Grimsby and tried my hand at Dogfish filleting, I had the piss ripped out of me something chronic by the women ‘Doggers’....

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I'm fed up of people saying "try and...." rather than "try to....".

I'd love to "try and add"* when people don't pronounce "t"s in a word. Example: instead of saying "Newton" it comes out as "New-un", or mountain becomes "moun-un". But that's not a phrase so I'll try to keep such non-phrases out of this thread.

*ugh, it makes me have a shudder even when I do this trying to be funny. Once you start to notice you can't stop.

mustang1

Legendary Member
I rather dislike the illogical nature of Latin overtones in the English language.

If someone is from London, they are a Londoner. If from Glasgow, Glaswegian.
Shouldn't it be Glasgowian, or Glasgower, or Londonian? I don't like the breaking up of the word.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I rather dislike the illogical nature of Latin overtones in the English language.

If someone is from London, they are a Londoner. If from Glasgow, Glaswegian.
Shouldn't it be Glasgowian, or Glasgower, or Londonian? I don't like the breaking up of the word.
I'm too iggerant to get the Latin ref, but I quite like it. Liverpudlian? Eh? Where did the puddle come from? Mancunian? Do wot John? The arbitrariness tickles me too - how come some places have them, others don't? There is, AFAIK, no Edinburgh equivalent of Glaswegian, nor is there any term for someone hailing from Sheffield, Birmingham or Norwich. Come to think of it, I'd say more places don't have them than do - so who decided there needed to be a special term for denizens of Manchester or Liverpool? Or London?

Top Bottom